Exclude an exe from superfetch/prefetch

Anonymous
2020-09-02T19:08:46+00:00

Hi!

As I know it prefetch/superfetch creates .pf files for all executables that were previously runned.

As such I don't want windows to make a specific executable's .pf file through prefetch because I don't want to disable  prefetch entirely for this.

Any help would be gratefull.Including registry edits if an entry could be successfully made that excludes the exe.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T13:42:17+00:00

    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-superfetch/

    https://www.osnews.com/story/21471/superfetch-how-it-works-myths/

    Have you done a Google search to see what you can find?

    Wait why are you sending me this Horace?!

    I already know about it thats why I haven't disabled Prefetch in the first place Plus I have HDD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T16:12:50+00:00

    I wasn't aware it was 64-bit executable. Are you running 3rd party anti-virus?

    To answer the script question, yes, you could do something like this:

    @ECHO OFF
    START "%SystemDrive%\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DARK SOULS III\Game\DarkSoulsIII.exe"
    TIMEOUT 5 > NUL
    DEL %windir%\Prefetch\DarkSoulsIII.*.pf
    

    I m assuming the game path above based on documentation. If it was bought outside of Steam, then modify the path accordingly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T17:49:01+00:00

    Oh thank u William u've been a great help!

    No I don't have 3rd party AV I use Windows' Defender.

    I need to run bat as admin right? And the "*".pf means those numerals after  pf executable name?Am I right?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T18:10:55+00:00

    No, do not run as administrator. Doing that will force the game to run in an administrative context. If you are an admin already, then you have access to the prefetch folder by default.

    As for * character, that is a wildcard since the file name will vary in the 2nd octet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-03T18:23:24+00:00

    Sorry I should've asked this already,um my game location is in E: Drive which is not a %systemdrive%,C: that is.So Do I have to modify this line with something else or is it good? Also do I need to modify this * in any way?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments