I am at a loss William my Windows Error reporting is not deactivated,its set to Manual(Triggered Start) In Services.msc
Exclude an exe from superfetch/prefetch
Hi!
As I know it prefetch/superfetch creates .pf files for all executables that were previously runned.
As such I don't want windows to make a specific executable's .pf file through prefetch because I don't want to disable prefetch entirely for this.
Any help would be gratefull.Including registry edits if an entry could be successfully made that excludes the exe.
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
50 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2020-09-02T21:22:00+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-09-03T00:40:07+00:00 Usually when you see StackHash as the fault, that is related to Data Execution Prevention (DEP). You can make an exception for this DarkSoulsIII.exe so DEP does not run against it. To do that, run this command
SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe> go to the Advanced tab > Performance Setings > Data Execution Prevention > select the second option "...except those I select:" > Add > browse to the game executable. See if that resolves the issue. -
Anonymous
2020-09-03T10:18:31+00:00 It says "You cannot set DEP attributes on 64 bit executibles"
Tried to give exception to dllhost.exe in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 but still same error.
So Now I completely disabled DEP but still same exact crash!
What to do now?
Also One more thing I have experienced.Game loads and closes "fine and well" most of the time without crashing but running game for second time definitely makes game crash on closing.
Chances of game crashing first time-20%
Chances of Crashing Second time-80%
Third time-100% with frequent stackhash and sometimes bad_module_info
-
Anonymous
2020-09-03T11:50:21+00:00 Also This is actually the most weirdest thing I could ve found.
When Deleting DARKSOULSIIIXXXX.pf file in prefetch everytime before running the game,the game never gave a single crash.
Ran 8 times now and can confirm that prefetch is the reason behind the "crash on quit".
So William if possible,can a .bat file or something else be created that can delete the .pf automatically before running the game?
(Editing EnablePrefetcher in regedit to 2 didn't help.)
If u have any out of the box suggestion please do tell me!Also ur views on this if u like.Cuz I am learning things too and want to understand more about what is happening here.
-
Anonymous
2020-09-03T12:09:23+00:00 https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-superfetch/
https://www.osnews.com/story/21471/superfetch-how-it-works-myths/
Have you done a Google search to see what you can find?