Exclude an exe from superfetch/prefetch

Anonymous
2020-09-02T19:08:46+00:00

Hi!

As I know it prefetch/superfetch creates .pf files for all executables that were previously runned.

As such I don't want windows to make a specific executable's .pf file through prefetch because I don't want to disable  prefetch entirely for this.

Any help would be gratefull.Including registry edits if an entry could be successfully made that excludes the exe.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T15:29:22+00:00

    OK, lets get away from using the bat and focus on the game crash. Since WER is unable to dump the crashing game process, lets attach a process exception monitor to the game executable. Download ProcDump from here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/d....

    Create a folder in C: called ProcDump

    Extract the file procdump to C:\ProcDump.

    Run an elevated command line and paste this command: procdump -e -ma -w DarkSoulsIII.exe. This command will monitor the process for an exception and dump it when encountered.

    Start the game and reproduce the crash.

    Go to C:\ProcDump and hopefully this will contain a .dmp file. if so, upload that to OneDrive or Google Drive and share the link to the file.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-05T08:04:35+00:00

    Crashed when I used ur command with no START /D and those extra quotes,it says appcrash and that faultmodulename is DarkSoulsIII.exe itself.

    No William I don't think u got the "Delete pf" correctly,allow me to explain-

    1)If I use this bat normally...

    Started my Windows 10 as usual.Not touched anything else and straightaway ran the game with the bat.The pf does not get deleted.

    2)If I use bat with admin

    Started my Windows 10 as usual.Not touched anything else and straightaway ran the game with the bat.The pf successfully gets deleted

    (**Not touching anything refers to the actual "Prefetch Folder".**If u open/interfere with the folder,then close it before launching the bat,as I said it will successfully delete the pf file already.But it wont get deleted if u don't open Prefetch folder  before launching the game this way.)Also I ve set timeout to 25 for proper deletion of pf

    Oh **** this is getting much worse and complicated than I thought sorry William please bear with me on this

    The game is randomly crashing again when closing.RAMmap became useless plus this prefetch thing too.What is wrong with this game?Damn I am getting frustrated friend.Wish that dmp could've been made so that problem might ve got solved.

    There is nothing running on background except System files.I have no viruses.This problem is beyond my understanding now.

    Is it the Human Interface Device Management causing this?cuz game originally plays on controller while I play on keyboard mouse.

    Or maybe their is a system process that game doesnt like?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-04T21:56:20+00:00

    er, forgot you are using different path:

    @ECHO OFF
    "E:\Games\Dark Souls III\Game\DarkSoulsIII.exe"
    TIMEOUT 15 > NUL
    DEL %windir%\Prefetch\DarkSoulsIII.*.pf
    

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-04T21:55:14+00:00

    A couple things, do not need START since exe is being called from path. Second, I checked prefetch create time by measuring a sample process and it was averaging over 10-12 seconds after initial process launch (this may differ for you). So adjust script accordingly:

    @ECHO OFF
    "E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DARK SOULS III\Game\DarkSoulsIII.exe"
    TIMEOUT 15 > NUL
    DEL %windir%\Prefetch\DarkSoulsIII.*.pf
    

    As far as needing to run the batch elevated, should not need to. I have no issues running script in normal context so long as you are already a local admin.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-09-04T17:01:11+00:00

    Removed those extra quotes and again same thing happened.Game didn't run.

    There is another problem.

    The pf file doesn't get deleted unless u open prefetch folder before as admin

    Just now tried to run whole bat with admin and the pf gets successfully deleted.(Is there any way to delete the file at normal privliges?)cuz u said Running as admin wont be gud

    (Or if it is not possible to delete file without privileges can U then tell the code to make bat run in admin mode automatically?)I don't want to annoy u too much just Please provide a proper bat code cuz I have to find everything on net and none of it I am able to understand cuz I am a rookie in coding

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments