Thanks. I had set mine up nearly identical to your setup lol. Unfortunately I can't roll smoothly and had to resort to an XBOX controller for now. I appreciate the response😎
MS Flight Simulator (2020)
Hello,
I have just purchased MS Flight Sim (2020) and can't seem to set up my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 controller for it.
It detects the controller but I'm unable to select a control binding and press a button on the joystick to assign it.
Is there a way to make this work?
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
48 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2020-08-20T06:26:50+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-08-20T06:40:03+00:00 Thanks. I had set mine up nearly identical to your setup lol. Unfortunately I can't roll smoothly and had to resort to an XBOX controller for now. I appreciate the response😎
I'm still on the fence and about to pull the trigger for the Premium Delux via steam. I also have an MS ForceFeedback II. But reading what you are saying about the roll concerns me. Not planning on buying a whole new joystick.
-
Anonymous
2020-08-20T06:42:19+00:00 I got my MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 working with Flight Simulator 2020 tonight. To set it up I did the following:
In Flight Simulator 2020, Under 'Options' - 'Controls' select the tab that has the Sidewinder. Then on 'Filter' select 'All' (not 'Assigned'). Then you have to set up each button, slider, stick movement etc. Here are the mappings I used for mine which works pretty good as far as basic flight (throttle, ailerons, rudder, throttle, etc.). I included some others I setup too, but the flight controls are essential. Also, I will try to attach a couple of screen shots to make it easier to follow:
Flight Control Surfaces - Primary Control Surfaces
- Ailerons Axis is set to: 'Joystick L-Axis X' in both slots (left and right)
- Elevator Axis is set to: 'Joystick L-Axis Y' in both slots (left and right)
- Rudder Axis is set to: 'Joystick R-Axis Z' in both slots (left and right)
Power Management - Throttle
- Throttle Axis is set to: 'Joystick Slider X' in both slots (left and right)
The rest are just how I have mine setup and are pretty straight forward. However, you may choose different mappings of course:
Camera - Camera Mode Switches
- Cockpit/External View Mode set to: '2'
Camera - Cockpit Camera
- Cockpit Quickview Rear set to: 'POV down-arrow'
- Cockpit Quickview Right set to: 'POV right-arrow'
- Cockpit Quickview Left set to: 'POV left-arrow'
Brakes
-Brakes set to '1'
Autopilot
- Autopilot On set to: '4'
Flight Control Surfaces - Secondary Control Surfaces
- Decrease Flaps set to: '5'
- Increase Flaps set to: '6'
Landing Gear
- Gear Down set to: '7'
- Gear Up set to: '8'
Hopefully this helps someone with their trusty Sidewinder.
THanks for the feedback. Can you comment on AlanMcGee's post about the roll not being smooth? How about your end are you seeing the same thing concerning the roll?
-
Anonymous
2020-08-20T14:34:32+00:00 The roll (ailerons) is smooth on mine. The game's response to the joystick's movement is pretty sensitive so I use a light touch. I also have to be careful not to twist the joystick while I'm turning which is easy to do as that will cause the rudders to move. I did not adjust any of the sensitivity settings or dead zones. Below is a screen shot of those settings. When I move any of the axes they move smoothly on the diagonal line and each 'left / right', 'forward / back', 'twist left / twist right' moves the horizontal bar 1/2 way left or right from center which is also smooth.
Note: Make sure your movements are tied to the correct axis setting. I had to play with this for a while until I got it right as there are so many axis settings. The ones I listed are the ones that are working for me.
-
Anonymous
2020-08-20T14:46:32+00:00 Works fine for me aswell with the roll. I put a 25% deadzone and took down sensitivity to -10% on all axis exept X! Made it easier to control the aircraft more smoothly :)