I changed my user account name and now my laptop is unable to boot up.

Anonymous
2020-08-07T09:27:54+00:00

C:\users\susan\

I didn't like my name was incomplete, it was "susan" insted of "susanta" in users folder. So i searched on internet to how to change it.

What I did: Win + r, searched "netplwiz", opened up a window called User Accounts, I select on the the only account(admin account), I click on properties, it opens up a new window allowing me to change my username, I change my username and click apply. But still the folder name is "susan". Then i can't find my account on the users list where I changed it. Then i think restart could solve my problem, But when i restart it won't boot up and can't auto repair.

Please help.please....

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-09T06:15:14+00:00

    No i did not find anything, except those 3 folders already present in profilelist.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-09T06:51:10+00:00

    Between you and I. I can't take any more of this clowning with keeping me out of the shower without washing my hair. 

    • The Lenovo download website(account required) https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/lenovorecovery?linkTrack=Body:Box:RecoveryMedia
    • The damn EAX Polackas have been roaming about EAX audio for years fix by a simple file rename for (dbghelp_old.dll)
    • And of course the fact that this topic is a discussion in differences. What does Secure Disk have to do with recovery and out of bios settings I don't know. This guy is probably staring at a DAMAGE RANGE LONG DVI port. I know that secure disk will not boot unless you turn it on in the bios.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-09T15:03:04+00:00

    (1) At the Automatic Repair screen, click the "Advanced Options" button.

         That should get to the "Choose an Option" screen.

    (2) Click "Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt".

         This reboots to a Command Prompt.

    (3) Enter the following commands...

    DiskPart                  <<<Open Diskpart

    List  Vol                   <<<List the volume letters

    Exit                          <<<Exit DiskPart

    Can you tell which letter is on your Windows partition? Then use it (instead of C:)...

    DIR  C:\Users  /a<<<Show the user names

    Do you see the user name that was renamed? Try renaming it back...

    REN  C:\Users\Susanta  Susan <<<But use the letter you saw above

    Close the Command Prompt, then click "Continue" to see whether Windows will boot. I hope that does it. Here is what it looked like for me, but I didn't do the REN (rename)...

    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19041.1]

    (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

    X:\windows\system32>DiskPart

    Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.19041.1

    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.

    On computer: MININT-4CK8MLL

    DISKPART> List Vol

      Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info

      ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------

      Volume 0     D                       DVD-ROM         0 B  No Media

      Volume 1     C   PCR Hard     NTFS   Partition    930 GB  Healthy                 <<<Mine is still C: there

      Volume 2     E   WinRE 2004   NTFS   Partition    847 MB  Healthy

      Volume 3         ESP          FAT32  Partition     99 MB  Healthy    Hidden

    DISKPART> Exit

    Leaving DiskPart...

    X:\windows\system32>DIR C:\Users /a<<<List the Users

     Volume in drive C is PCR Hard

     Volume Serial Number is F4D4-2928

     Directory of c:\Users

    07/09/2020  07:07 PM    <DIR>          .

    07/09/2020  07:07 PM    <DIR>          ..

    12/07/2019  01:30 AM    <SYMLINKD>     All Users [C:\ProgramData]

    07/09/2020  07:55 PM    <DIR>          Default

    12/07/2019  01:30 AM    <JUNCTION>     Default User [C:\Users\Default]

    12/07/2019  01:12 AM               174 desktop.ini

    07/26/2020  11:48 AM    <DIR>          pcrrc                                            <<<My username showed up

    07/09/2020  07:15 PM    <DIR>          Public

                   1 File(s)            174 bytes

                   7 Dir(s)  945,861,312,512 bytes free

    X:\windows\system32>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-09T17:14:36+00:00

    No... it's already susan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-09T19:35:23+00:00

    I know what you're talking about. Windows just creates a shorter directory from the actual name.

    There are still a couple of questions. Why can't you perform system recovery? Why can't you reinstall Windows 10? If you have any files that you did not back up that are important?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments