Very high CPU and memory usage unless I open the task manager EVEN after factory reset

Anonymous
2020-05-01T20:50:34+00:00

Hi all i come for help as I've been trying to fix this problem for the past week but I'm new to the PC world so I need help.

I bought and built this PC myself about 4 months ago and it worked fine until last week. The fans started blowing pretty loudly even when doing the most simple tasks and the PC gets way hotter than normal and as soon as I open the task manager the CPU and memory (even disk sometimes) are at 30-70% usage for a second then they go back to normal levels. Even weirder the percentage shown at the top of the task manager dont match the usage of processes running at all, and when playing video games I have no in-game performance problem, but things like discord or google stop working completely. At first I thought I had a virus so I tried running complete scans with avast and windows, then I tried a rootkit scan with malwarebytes and finally an offline scan with windows. Problem was still there so I tried a factory reset, still it wouldn't go away so I reset my pc and downloaded windows from a USB drive so now I don't know what to do.

Specs :

CPU : Intel Core i5-9400F 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard : MSI MAG B365M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory : G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-2400

Video Card : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card

Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2 NVME Solid State Drive

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-05-02T15:38:19+00:00

    Please show CPU tab of resmon after at least 30 seconds since the start sorted by CPU usage. And do not start Chrome please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-02T14:49:23+00:00

    Same thing happens but its another process that takes a lot of usage

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Igor Leyko 112.4K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-05-02T12:34:03+00:00

    What happens if you close Chrome?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-02T02:09:23+00:00

    Didn't work :/, but thanks for your answer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-02T00:54:53+00:00

    Hello EkeneChu,

    A friend of mine had a similar problem, though opening Task Manager didn't solve anything. It later turned out to be Chrome using system resources even without being open.

    Could I suggest you uninstall Chrome and see what happens?

    Cheers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments