How-to disable Modern Standby in Windows 10 May 2020 update?

Anonymous
2020-05-30T23:44:49+00:00

good old registry hack does not work anymore:

  1. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] CsEnabled=0
  2. deleted [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep]

PC still uses "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" and it makes a lot of problems

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-06-11T08:31:25+00:00

    WOW, So, your experience let me think if the UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE that microsoft said is really exists.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-09-07T14:02:24+00:00

    The amount of stupidity is incomprehensible.

    Dell have the option to toggle additional sleep states in BIOS (which have to do with how S0LP and S123 are presented). If you don't do that, S0LP will not be exposed.

    However, Windows can detect that your chipset support S0LP, so it INSIST on using S0LP even though it is utterly horrifying (e.g. I can watch the laptop go to sleep, CLOSE the lid and watch the power LED turn back on with the lid closed)

    And we all know that S0LP work quite badly. It's in a state between S1 (CPU off, peripheral standby) and S0 (all systems on), and this mere definition is confusing enough. Is the CPU on? Is the CPU off? Is the WLAN card on or off or in a "semi-off" state?

    If I want to STANDBY, I want the CPU to STOP. But I do not want to lose my RAM because I have unsaved work. I will turn on the system elsewhere (perhaps in a more comfortable environment) so I can finish the work. I do not need the CPU to be in a "semi-on" state as I walk from classroom to classroom because I will not be using it.

    The entire "connected standby" thing is so utterly stupid. If you want connected, just leave the system in S0 full power.

    The only fortunate thing to happen, is that modern chipsets do not use a lot of power when idle (e.g. showing a blank desktop and NOT performing background windows updates/folder index/etc). And, if you have Win 10 PRO, you can gpedit and make windows update roll manually.

    ___

    On my Thinkpad T14S (which uses a AMD chipset btw), I think it do not support "connected standby". Instead it present "disconnected standby", which work a lot better, even though it means that whenever you close the lid (even if the system is ON and NOT SLEEPING) you lose WLAN (but not cable, however Windows again is not happy with it and decide to make the cable icon disappear)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-09-07T14:30:36+00:00

    If you turned on 1000000000+ processes on your Tower PCs or Client Operating System Based Servers.

    Your UPS will die soon.

    -- We know that modern stand by is not only works with laptop PCs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-10-02T16:49:01+00:00

    Hi Mike,

    This cause me endless headache, too. It seems the required registry mod has changed. This worked well for me: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/How-to-disable-modern-standby-in-Windows-21H1/td-p/7996308 bw,

    z

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-10-19T10:35:33+00:00

    Tried the hack above on Windows 11. Command accepted successfully. We'll see!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments