How-to disable Modern Standby in Windows 10 May 2020 update?

Anonymous
2020-05-30T23:44:49+00:00

good old registry hack does not work anymore:

  1. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] CsEnabled=0
  2. deleted [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep]

PC still uses "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" and it makes a lot of problems

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-12-12T17:48:46+00:00

    Hi, M Webb, I'm hoping you can help me as I'm an absolute tech duffus.

    I'm trying to disable Modern Standby on an Hp Pavillion, running Win10, to prevent batt loss after full shutdown.

    Following the advice on this thread, I entered the above command only to get a message saying

    "ERROR: Invalid syntax.

    Type "REG ADD /?" for usage."

    Can you please explain what I'm doing wrong? Thnx.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-22T03:30:02+00:00

    I imagine you've missed the 0 at the end of the command line - this forum has wrapped it onto a new line. The command should end "/d 0" not "/d"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-25T15:18:17+00:00

    Thanks MW, like I say , I'm a duffus. Thee WAS a typo but not that one but I also wasn't aware about the importance of 'Run as Administrator'. I was logged on, on an Administrator acc, but apparently this isn't enough, you also have to go the the 'Run as Administrator' command prompt for it to take. It did report that it had been successful but that doesn't seem to have solved my problem. Still losing 10% power on complete shutdown over a 24 hr period. Thnx anyway.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T02:14:32+00:00

    Or just try this ten times safer solution:

    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

    Hello and Thank You So much for this!

    It really helped, but now that I have disabled the S0 / Modern Standby, my laptop can't sleep anymore. Do you know how I could enable the S3 standby mode on my laptop?

    Thank You, Any Help is Appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-01-11T06:08:00+00:00

    Run "powercfg /a" at an admin command line.

    I suspect it is going to say "The system firmware does not support this standby state" under "Standby (S3)."

    If so, your BIOS does not support S3 sleep and no amount of registry hacking will change that. The only people who could change that are the manufacturers of your PC, and I wouldn't hold my breath for them to add BIOS support for S3 back in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments