How-to disable Modern Standby in Windows 10 May 2020 update?

Anonymous
2020-05-30T23:44:49+00:00

good old registry hack does not work anymore:

  1. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power] CsEnabled=0
  2. deleted [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\ModernSleep]

PC still uses "Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected" and it makes a lot of problems

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Sleep and Power on, off

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-09-07T14:02:24+00:00

    The amount of stupidity is incomprehensible.

    Dell have the option to toggle additional sleep states in BIOS (which have to do with how S0LP and S123 are presented). If you don't do that, S0LP will not be exposed.

    However, Windows can detect that your chipset support S0LP, so it INSIST on using S0LP even though it is utterly horrifying (e.g. I can watch the laptop go to sleep, CLOSE the lid and watch the power LED turn back on with the lid closed)

    And we all know that S0LP work quite badly. It's in a state between S1 (CPU off, peripheral standby) and S0 (all systems on), and this mere definition is confusing enough. Is the CPU on? Is the CPU off? Is the WLAN card on or off or in a "semi-off" state?

    If I want to STANDBY, I want the CPU to STOP. But I do not want to lose my RAM because I have unsaved work. I will turn on the system elsewhere (perhaps in a more comfortable environment) so I can finish the work. I do not need the CPU to be in a "semi-on" state as I walk from classroom to classroom because I will not be using it.

    The entire "connected standby" thing is so utterly stupid. If you want connected, just leave the system in S0 full power.

    The only fortunate thing to happen, is that modern chipsets do not use a lot of power when idle (e.g. showing a blank desktop and NOT performing background windows updates/folder index/etc). And, if you have Win 10 PRO, you can gpedit and make windows update roll manually.

    ___

    On my Thinkpad T14S (which uses a AMD chipset btw), I think it do not support "connected standby". Instead it present "disconnected standby", which work a lot better, even though it means that whenever you close the lid (even if the system is ON and NOT SLEEPING) you lose WLAN (but not cable, however Windows again is not happy with it and decide to make the cable icon disappear)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-11-03T20:52:31+00:00

    I just tried this too. Fingers crossed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-03-12T13:55:41+00:00

    Hi All,

    Right after getting the 20H2 update installed S0i3 seems to be back even with this one in registry:

    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

    That's despite my machine isn't even advertising S0i3 support - only S3:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg /a

    The following sleep states are available on this system:

    Standby (S3)

    Hibernate

    Hybrid Sleep

    Fast Startup

    The following sleep states are not available on this system:

    Standby (S1)

    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    Standby (S2)

    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    Standby (S0 Low Power Idle)

    The system firmware does not support this standby state.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32>

    Is W10 with 20H2 update enforcing S0i3 thereby ignoring the fact it's not supported then? How do I disable it again anyway? I have reasons not to ever have it enabled in my particular application, even at the expense of having no Standby whatsoever (I'll have to use Hibernate instead in the worst case, as I already did before). 

    Many thanks in advance!

    Update: Sorry looks like I just forgot to manually put it into the (S3) sleep, so it may have just turned off the screen while staying active all the time as per my Standby timeout settings and so was warm to touch.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-01-05T02:14:32+00:00

    Or just try this ten times safer solution:

    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0

    Hello and Thank You So much for this!

    It really helped, but now that I have disabled the S0 / Modern Standby, my laptop can't sleep anymore. Do you know how I could enable the S3 standby mode on my laptop?

    Thank You, Any Help is Appreciated

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more