KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Anonymous
2020-05-11T03:49:56+00:00

I was using my computer when it blue screened and it said Stop Code: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and it kept happening again and again, after turning on my pc after 3 hours of not using it started blue screening a bit after loading and now I cant log in

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-24T16:24:20+00:00

    I read through the whole thread here and one thing I tried since I had just received my computer in the mail was to open the case and check all the connections. I pulled everything out and off that I could and inspected the motherboard for cracks. Finding no cracks I put it back together and fired it up. It didn't shut down right away as in past attempts so I was able to uninstall the latest windows 10 update. So far so good after 4 days. I suspect it was something loose so I'll reply back June 1st after I start windows updates again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-25T15:11:42+00:00

    I have an HP Envy Desktop 795-0010 running Windows 10 Home that started this behavior on May 21, 2020. It rapidly reached the point of crashing within 1 or 2 seconds of booting. I used a Linux Ubuntu startup disk in non-install mode to run the computer and copy out files changed since the previous backup to a NAS, then went to the System Restore Point of May 10 but that did not solve the problem. I ran the hardware diagnostics in "extensive" mode and 4.5 hours later there were no issues.  I booted back to Linux tried to clean out the Windows Update area C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (found this by Googling) but the Linux non-install boot would not let me remove system files even using "sudo"; I think that is a good decision on Linux' part. Eventually I restored the C: drive from an old Feb 22 Acronis TrueImage backup and copied any new files back in. I then did all the updates (except the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909) and it still is working after 14 hours.

    Kudos to Phil Jackson for spearheading this issue!

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-02T23:05:20+00:00

    Phil,

       I hope you did not think I was ignoring you.  I just got my computer back from a local repair shop.  He had it for one week but he was able to recover all of my data.  He could not determine the cause but he stated some root disk sectors were corrupted and he had to perform a low level format and completely reinstall Windows 10.  After talking to him, I am guessing it was a lethal cocktail of Windows 10 update, McAfee antivirus and I was also using a third party defraggler program which probably did not play well with Intel Optane memory.  He stated if you want to defrag your hard drive, make sure the Optane memory is disabled first.  I am glad you had the patience and were able to solve your problem.  He charged me $100 but it was money well spent since I would have paid more for a new computer after throwing it against the wall.  Like Clint Eastwood said, a man has got to know his limits.

    Bottom line, be very wary with non Microsoft antivirus and utility software because I have had issues in the past after major Windows 10 updates but nothing like this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T01:57:34+00:00

    On July 25, 2020 I just had the same problem with repeating blue screen KMODE Exception not handled. "F-keys" don't work to interupt start-up. In Windows Recovery, "Reset PC keeping files" doesn't work. Read full string above. Is only option to make bootable USB to reinstall Windows, and after you do, is it reoccuring problem?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-30T21:28:49+00:00

    I was not able to even make a bootable USB.  I have made one after it was fixed and back up my data more frequently now.  So far my computer has not had any problems.  Like I stated, stay away from third party anti virus and utility programs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments