KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Anonymous
2020-05-11T03:49:56+00:00

I was using my computer when it blue screened and it said Stop Code: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and it kept happening again and again, after turning on my pc after 3 hours of not using it started blue screening a bit after loading and now I cant log in

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-19T16:50:50+00:00

    Found an alternative account password - thank goodness I always create an alternate admin account!

    I removed latest "quality update" and was able to work in the computer for a while (over 15 minutes) and then it crashed with the same code (kmode exc not handled). Before it crashed I noted there were quality updates on 5/18 for .NET and Windows 10 - version 1903. These are KB4556799 & KB4549951. I also had a 5/18 install of KB890830 for Win Malicious Software Removal Tool. The next oldest one is KB4551762 installed 5/11 but I also had driver updates on 5/11.

    There is also a pend8ng feature update Windows 10 ver 1909 but I paused updates.

    I wondered if something started installing before I could hit "pause updates" but I was able to reboot without uninstalling anything. 

    Now it keeps crash8ng after runn8nh

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-19T18:01:53+00:00

    I have been stepping through uninstalling but it kept BSOD after 10 minutes or so. I think KB4556799 was removed during boot recovery option to remove latest quality update. I subsequently uninstalled KB4549951 and KB4552931 without relief of BSOD. Currently restoring save point back to pre-5/11 updates...

    Took 75 minutes to restore but system has been running stable for almost 30 minutes. 

    So now what happens when those patches reinstall? I have it paused until 6/15.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-19T19:06:34+00:00

    I've been having the same problem with a new PC. In fact, I can make the Kmode exceptions happen at will, by going through the following menus and selections:

    control panel

      system and security

          security and maintenance

             maintenance

                start maintenance

    A Kmode exception happens about 5 seconds after I click "start maintenance". It's very repeatable. I've tried it about 5 times and it always happens. After the PC restarts and I logon, it seems to be fine and I can do other things, or make the Kmode exception happen again.

    This is with a new PC that was "reset" to its initial Windows 10 factory settings, after the Kmode exceptions happened so frequently today that Windows said it had to be reset. The only updates that are now installed on this PC are:  KB4501374, KB4537759, KB4517245, KB4552931, KB4552152, KB4541338, KB4525419, KB4497727, KB4052623.

    The Windows update history says that KB2267602 failed to install today, and describes this as "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus". It seems likely this is related to the Kmode exceptions, but I don't know. The only software I installed on this PC after it was reset was Firefox and Microsoft Intellipoint. I also setup Microsoft quicklaunch, for Windows 10. (I removed the prepackaged McAfee antivirus software from the control panel after the PC was reset, because I don't want to use McAfee. I'd rather just use Windows Defender Antivirus, if possible.)

    I sure hope Microsoft can fix this problem. It appears to be a showstopper for my use of the PC. I expect that if Windows tries automatically to install new updates, the updates will continue to have Kmode exceptions, and Windows will eventually again force me to reset the Windows installation on the PC -- which is a big pain because of all the software configurations I need to re-install on a new PC.

    Phil Jackson

    ******@gmail.com

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-20T02:26:02+00:00

    After booting into safe mode, I had to uninstall my McAfee anti-virus software which solved the problem.  I have had compatibility issues before with McAfee anti-virus and Windows 10, especially after a major Win 10 update.  I have been using the default Windows 10 Defender and anti-virus without any problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-20T13:16:40+00:00

    I had also removed McAfee anti-virus software from my system, but this did not solve or prevent the problem I reported above.  Windows consistently gives a KMODE exception blue screen of death, whenever I try to perform a Windows maintenance update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments