KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED

Anonymous
2020-05-11T03:49:56+00:00

I was using my computer when it blue screened and it said Stop Code: KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and it kept happening again and again, after turning on my pc after 3 hours of not using it started blue screening a bit after loading and now I cant log in

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-25T15:11:42+00:00

    I have an HP Envy Desktop 795-0010 running Windows 10 Home that started this behavior on May 21, 2020. It rapidly reached the point of crashing within 1 or 2 seconds of booting. I used a Linux Ubuntu startup disk in non-install mode to run the computer and copy out files changed since the previous backup to a NAS, then went to the System Restore Point of May 10 but that did not solve the problem. I ran the hardware diagnostics in "extensive" mode and 4.5 hours later there were no issues.  I booted back to Linux tried to clean out the Windows Update area C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download (found this by Googling) but the Linux non-install boot would not let me remove system files even using "sudo"; I think that is a good decision on Linux' part. Eventually I restored the C: drive from an old Feb 22 Acronis TrueImage backup and copied any new files back in. I then did all the updates (except the Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909) and it still is working after 14 hours.

    Kudos to Phil Jackson for spearheading this issue!

    Mark

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-24T16:24:20+00:00

    I read through the whole thread here and one thing I tried since I had just received my computer in the mail was to open the case and check all the connections. I pulled everything out and off that I could and inspected the motherboard for cracks. Finding no cracks I put it back together and fired it up. It didn't shut down right away as in past attempts so I was able to uninstall the latest windows 10 update. So far so good after 4 days. I suspect it was something loose so I'll reply back June 1st after I start windows updates again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-24T07:18:32+00:00

    Same but i have incounterd multiple errors but this is most common so i recently built a new pc and it has now let me use my 2 working hdd i tried reformatting the hdd but still no luck:(

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-22T19:41:40+00:00

    Earlier today I spent about 90 minutes on the phone with a Microsoft Technical Support person named Krishna. He was very patient and helpful, and was able to see the Windows history on my PC showing that it had failed to install KB2267602. He checked and found that KB2267602 is no longer available from Microsoft - apparently Microsoft has realized KB2267602 doesn't install correctly, and removed it. He wanted to perform more tests, but my PC started having Kmode exceptions about as fast as I could logon to Windows after each restart -- apparently it was trying to automatically perform system maintenance and load KB2267602 each time it restarted.

    Using my other, older PC, he downloaded a new copy of Windows 10 to a USB drive for me. I then did a fresh install of Windows 10 to the new PC, and so far it has run fine. I can now perform system maintenance and install Windows updates, without Kmode exceptions, although the updates installed so far only date to January 2020. Hopefully, the PC won't later run into problems installing more current updates. Maybe my new PC will now run reliably for the next several years, like my older PC. (Knock on wood.)

    My suggestion for people currently having Kmode exceptions is to call Microsoft technical support at 1-877-696-7786 and ask them to see if your PC failed to install KB2267602, which may have caused a Kmode exception, and ask for help installing a new copy of Windows 10. It helps to be as friendly and patient as possible during the phone call.

    I agree that Microsoft should take the initiative to stop the Blue Screen errors, and suggested this to Krishna. Of course, he couldn't say when this larger problem might be fixed. Spamming Nadella might help, or the spam tweets might be ignored... Individual conversations during phone calls may eventually have more effect.

    Good Luck, everyone!

    Phil

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-05-22T14:44:34+00:00

    The bottom line is this is a Microsoft issue and they should take the initiative to stop the Blue Screen Errors and stop crashing system once and for all. It's frustrating that we have to spend thousand of combined hours trying to find a solution and fix the blue screen issues from time to time. Let's start a movement and ask @satyanadella to fix the problem. Please twit or re-twit as much as possible and hopefully Microsoft will take priority on resolving the blue screen issues.

    https://twitter.com/stevechan69/status/1263839514402881537

    Dear Mr. Nadella

    @satyanadella

    , You have done a tremendous job for #Microsoft. Please do one more thing and stop the #BlueScreen Errors like #KMODE. Try to find a way to stop the conflicts/issues/process/apps and report the issue but don't crash the system. #STOPBLUESCREEN

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments