Windows Defender stopping me from ejecting harddrive

Anonymous
2020-05-26T06:39:44+00:00

After uninstalling Norton (as it came preinstalled after on my computer) I started to experience an issue, whenever I would try to eject my hard drive I would get an error, after looking in event viewer I saw an error talking about how msmpeng.exe was stopping it from ejecting. After researching I found out that this task was windows defender.

However I have tried everything to stop this from happening to no avail, Ive gone into its settings to turn it off and yet it still runs in the background still blocking be from ejecting my hard drive, attempting to close msmpeng.exe in task manager gives me an error that I dont have permission (with no way to change this) I have then followed guides about going into edit to make a file called disablelivespywareprotection (something like that) and now Im out of answers, Am I now forced to just unplug it unsafely or something? please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-23T15:40:12+00:00

    Deactivating windows defender before plugin an external device can also be a temporary "solution"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-10-24T05:34:11+00:00

    Deactivating windows defender before plugin an external device can also be a temporary "solution"

    [Machine Translation]

    @KevjCruz,

    How to disable and enable Windows defender easily?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-09T20:24:10+00:00

    Same issue here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-09T23:18:58+00:00

    Same issue here.

    @_ATOmix_ , 

    Perhaps you should upvote the Feedback Hub report at the link below, maybe MS will do something to fix the problem: 

    https://aka.ms/AA9pb9h

    The Windows Defender platform was changed recently from 4.18.2009.7-0 to 4.18.2010.7-0 on current build 19042.610.

    Tried again with the new platform and got the same problem. 

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-11-10T03:16:01+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments