Windows Defender stopping me from ejecting harddrive

Anonymous
2020-05-26T06:39:44+00:00

After uninstalling Norton (as it came preinstalled after on my computer) I started to experience an issue, whenever I would try to eject my hard drive I would get an error, after looking in event viewer I saw an error talking about how msmpeng.exe was stopping it from ejecting. After researching I found out that this task was windows defender.

However I have tried everything to stop this from happening to no avail, Ive gone into its settings to turn it off and yet it still runs in the background still blocking be from ejecting my hard drive, attempting to close msmpeng.exe in task manager gives me an error that I dont have permission (with no way to change this) I have then followed guides about going into edit to make a file called disablelivespywareprotection (something like that) and now Im out of answers, Am I now forced to just unplug it unsafely or something? please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-03T22:59:25+00:00

    I got an answer to this issue.  You do not have to safely remove USB drives anymore. If you look under disk management.  Right clik on the disc label in the  lower section. Select properties. Then select the policies tab. Under that is removal policy. Quick Removal(default) and Better Performance. As long as Quick Removal(default) is selected you can remove the drive anytime you want safely. I would  make sure the drive is not actually churning before pulling the plug. I've had no issues since someone explained this to me on Windows 10 help forums. https://www.tenforums.com/

    Hope this helps.

     

    Hi,

    Useful info - but how do you make sure its 'not churning'.  Where is the 'stop churning' button?  I think mine is churning because of Windows Defender doing something.  When I do manage to safely eject the HD it spins down.  When it refuses to eject it won't spin down, and its churning.  When I pull it out when its spinning like this it makes a funny dying sound that doesn't sound normal.

    I hope the UI expert who thought it sensible to have an 'eject device' button which then presents a 'Problem ejecting USB Mass storage device - device is currently in use, close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again' dialog box if the correct thing is just to pull the USB lead is 'needs improvement' on their annual review. 

    Andy

    @old-fogey, 

    The problem with windows defender is not just for USB devices, the same happens with external SATA drives. This problem started with Windows 10 v 2004 and it is not happening with the same hardware with Version 1909, it is also not happening with insider build 20180 or other development builds.

    It definitely looks like a bug caused by windows defender only with builds 19041 or 19042...

    When the problem occurs, a restart of the PC seems to cure the problem temporarily and a clean eject is allowed before defender starts using the drive again.

    The problem is definitely a bug it only happens with 19041 builds and MS should fix it.

    [Machine Translation]

    @RobertFlintstone

    I appreciate your helpful answer on how to get around this problem. Analyzing your answer I found a Microsoft page that provides more details on this subject:

    Change in default removal policy for external storage media in Windows 10, version 1809

    @old_fogey

    I also agree with you and I think this issue needs a Microsoft approach that gives the user more simplicity and security when removing a USB device. The user needs to have full confidence that they are following the correct procedure when removing a USB device, especially hard drives with high storage capacity.

    @fg2001

    I use Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909 - OS build: 18363.959 and this Windows Defender problem also occurs on my PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T05:50:02+00:00

    @fg2001

    I use Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909 - OS build: 18363.959 and this Windows Defender problem also occurs on my PC.

    Jose, 

    The quick removal for external drives is already set as default. That is not the issue, when eject is issued they should first stop the activity of windows defender on the drive and then eject correctly.

    If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909.

    I had 1909 for over a year and never had any problems with eject.

    It all started for me with v 2004 in 5 different machines.

    Also I don't get the problem with any insider development build up to build 20180.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-08T00:22:04+00:00

    @fg2001

    I use Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909 - OS build: 18363.959 and this Windows Defender problem also occurs on my PC.

    Jose, 

    The quick removal for external drives is already set as default. That is not the issue, when eject is issued they should first stop the activity of windows defender on the drive and then eject correctly.

    If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909.

    I had 1909 for over a year and never had any problems with eject.

    It all started for me with v 2004 in 5 different machines.

    Also I don't get the problem with any insider development build up to build 20180.

    [Machine Translation]

    @ fg2001,

    Thanks for the answer!

      • Yes, Quick Removal by default is already OK. I posted the link just to show Microsoft's official information about this feature.

    2) - "... If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909 ..."

    Yes, the USB device removal problem and Windows Defender in version 1909 started recently. Before it worked correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-08T01:56:13+00:00

    @fg2001

    I use Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909 - OS build: 18363.959 and this Windows Defender problem also occurs on my PC.

    Jose, 

    The quick removal for external drives is already set as default. That is not the issue, when eject is issued they should first stop the activity of windows defender on the drive and then eject correctly.

    If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909.

    I had 1909 for over a year and never had any problems with eject.

    It all started for me with v 2004 in 5 different machines.

    Also I don't get the problem with any insider development build up to build 20180.

    [Machine Translation]

    @ fg2001,

    Thanks for the answer!

      • Yes, Quick Removal by default is already OK. I posted the link just to show Microsoft's official information about this feature.

    2) - "... If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909 ..."

    Yes, the USB device removal problem and Windows Defender in version 1909 started recently. Before it worked correctly.

    Hi Jose, 

    Thanks for the confirmation. I just hope that MS comes out with a fix soon.

    As I said earlier the problem is not just with USB devices, but also with external SATA devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-12T13:33:12+00:00

    I don't disagree with anything posted here. I am still having some issues with my USB drive having corrupted files and or folders after coping new data to the drive. It could be because Defender is still running and maybe not clearing the new files as safe. I do not know. I've continued to look for ways to get around this issue. Maybe Defender is the problem. And where is msft in all of this??

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments