Windows Defender stopping me from ejecting harddrive

Anonymous
2020-05-26T06:39:44+00:00

After uninstalling Norton (as it came preinstalled after on my computer) I started to experience an issue, whenever I would try to eject my hard drive I would get an error, after looking in event viewer I saw an error talking about how msmpeng.exe was stopping it from ejecting. After researching I found out that this task was windows defender.

However I have tried everything to stop this from happening to no avail, Ive gone into its settings to turn it off and yet it still runs in the background still blocking be from ejecting my hard drive, attempting to close msmpeng.exe in task manager gives me an error that I dont have permission (with no way to change this) I have then followed guides about going into edit to make a file called disablelivespywareprotection (something like that) and now Im out of answers, Am I now forced to just unplug it unsafely or something? please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-11T14:33:38+00:00

    Did that and I still get the error, here's what it says in the log

    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2004.6-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4380 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25FE\575834314131393638334334.

    I get the same issue.

    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2006.10-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4272 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_AB38\NA9Q7TM3.

    and

    The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_AB38\NA9Q7TM3.

    Very annoying. Please fix it Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-07-31T23:47:37+00:00

    Did that and I still get the error, here's what it says in the log

    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2004.6-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4380 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25FE\575834314131393638334334.

    I get the same issue.

    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2006.10-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4272 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_AB38\NA9Q7TM3.

    and

    The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_AB38\NA9Q7TM3.

    Very annoying. Please fix it Microsoft.

    ***"...***Very annoying. Please fix it Microsoft..."

    [Machine Translation]

    Really annoying Microsot !!!!! Or at least post an answer on this Forum !!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-03T19:10:13+00:00

    I got an answer to this issue.  You do not have to safely remove USB drives anymore. If you look under disk management.  Right clik on the disc label in the  lower section. Select properties. Then select the policies tab. Under that is removal policy. Quick Removal(default) and Better Performance. As long as Quick Removal(default) is selected you can remove the drive anytime you want safely. I would  make sure the drive is not actually churning before pulling the plug. I've had no issues since someone explained this to me on Windows 10 help forums. https://www.tenforums.com/

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-03T20:28:42+00:00

    I got an answer to this issue.  You do not have to safely remove USB drives anymore. If you look under disk management.  Right clik on the disc label in the  lower section. Select properties. Then select the policies tab. Under that is removal policy. Quick Removal(default) and Better Performance. As long as Quick Removal(default) is selected you can remove the drive anytime you want safely. I would  make sure the drive is not actually churning before pulling the plug. I've had no issues since someone explained this to me on Windows 10 help forums. https://www.tenforums.com/

    Hope this helps.

     

    Hi,

    Useful info - but how do you make sure its 'not churning'.  Where is the 'stop churning' button?  I think mine is churning because of Windows Defender doing something.  When I do manage to safely eject the HD it spins down.  When it refuses to eject it won't spin down, and its churning.  When I pull it out when its spinning like this it makes a funny dying sound that doesn't sound normal.

    I hope the UI expert who thought it sensible to have an 'eject device' button which then presents a 'Problem ejecting USB Mass storage device - device is currently in use, close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again' dialog box if the correct thing is just to pull the USB lead is 'needs improvement' on their annual review. 

    Andy

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-03T21:52:33+00:00

    I got an answer to this issue.  You do not have to safely remove USB drives anymore. If you look under disk management.  Right clik on the disc label in the  lower section. Select properties. Then select the policies tab. Under that is removal policy. Quick Removal(default) and Better Performance. As long as Quick Removal(default) is selected you can remove the drive anytime you want safely. I would  make sure the drive is not actually churning before pulling the plug. I've had no issues since someone explained this to me on Windows 10 help forums. https://www.tenforums.com/

    Hope this helps.

     

    Hi,

    Useful info - but how do you make sure its 'not churning'.  Where is the 'stop churning' button?  I think mine is churning because of Windows Defender doing something.  When I do manage to safely eject the HD it spins down.  When it refuses to eject it won't spin down, and its churning.  When I pull it out when its spinning like this it makes a funny dying sound that doesn't sound normal.

    I hope the UI expert who thought it sensible to have an 'eject device' button which then presents a 'Problem ejecting USB Mass storage device - device is currently in use, close any programs or windows that might be using the device and then try again' dialog box if the correct thing is just to pull the USB lead is 'needs improvement' on their annual review. 

    Andy

    @old-fogey, 

    The problem with windows defender is not just for USB devices, the same happens with external SATA drives. This problem started with Windows 10 v 2004 and it is not happening with the same hardware with Version 1909, it is also not happening with insider build 20180 or other development builds.

    It definitely looks like a bug caused by windows defender only with builds 19041 or 19042...

    When the problem occurs, a restart of the PC seems to cure the problem temporarily and a clean eject is allowed before defender starts using the drive again.

    The problem is definitely a bug it only happens with 19041 builds and MS should fix it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments