Windows Defender stopping me from ejecting harddrive

Anonymous
2020-05-26T06:39:44+00:00

After uninstalling Norton (as it came preinstalled after on my computer) I started to experience an issue, whenever I would try to eject my hard drive I would get an error, after looking in event viewer I saw an error talking about how msmpeng.exe was stopping it from ejecting. After researching I found out that this task was windows defender.

However I have tried everything to stop this from happening to no avail, Ive gone into its settings to turn it off and yet it still runs in the background still blocking be from ejecting my hard drive, attempting to close msmpeng.exe in task manager gives me an error that I dont have permission (with no way to change this) I have then followed guides about going into edit to make a file called disablelivespywareprotection (something like that) and now Im out of answers, Am I now forced to just unplug it unsafely or something? please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-26T06:45:14+00:00

    Did you go to Norton and get their removal software which removes all the code or just used Programs and features which does not?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-26T07:00:06+00:00

    I used programs and features

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-26T07:07:55+00:00

    That did not get rid of the code that is causing problems.

    Go to Norton and get the removal software.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-05-26T07:30:50+00:00

    Did that and I still get the error, heres what it says in the log

    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2004.6-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4380 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25FE\575834314131393638334334.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-27T03:43:28+00:00

    Did that and I still get the error, here's what it says in the log

    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2004.6-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 4380 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25FE\575834314131393638334334.

    Hi, 

    I have exactly the same problem with the same message in 3 different machines after upgrading from windows v 1909 to v 2004. (Build 19041.329). The only way to get out of that situation is by doing a PC restart. 

    The same machines did not have this problem with v 1909 and there is no problem either with windows insider development Build 20152.1000 on the same PC's.

    No third party security,  just windows defender.

    I submitted a report on FBH with the recording, I think you should do that too or add a comment to my feedback.

    https://aka.ms/AA8t6v3

    See the event message below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments