Windows Defender stopping me from ejecting harddrive

Anonymous
2020-05-26T06:39:44+00:00

After uninstalling Norton (as it came preinstalled after on my computer) I started to experience an issue, whenever I would try to eject my hard drive I would get an error, after looking in event viewer I saw an error talking about how msmpeng.exe was stopping it from ejecting. After researching I found out that this task was windows defender.

However I have tried everything to stop this from happening to no avail, Ive gone into its settings to turn it off and yet it still runs in the background still blocking be from ejecting my hard drive, attempting to close msmpeng.exe in task manager gives me an error that I dont have permission (with no way to change this) I have then followed guides about going into edit to make a file called disablelivespywareprotection (something like that) and now Im out of answers, Am I now forced to just unplug it unsafely or something? please help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-18T12:32:31+00:00

    I don't disagree with anything posted here. I am still having some issues with my USB drive having corrupted files and or folders after coping new data to the drive. It could be because Defender is still running and maybe not clearing the new files as safe. I do not know. I've continued to look for ways to get around this issue. Maybe Defender is the problem. And where is msft in all of this??

    I am having the same issue and have tried several things, but only restart helps.

    Log Name:      System

    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP

    Date:          18/08/2020 13:55:05

    Event ID:      225

    Task Category: (223)

    Level:         Warning

    The application \Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.4-0\MsMpEng.exe with process id 2896 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_0BC2&PID_2322\MSFT30NA8K2QEH.

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

      <System>

        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP" Guid="{9c205a39-1250-487d-abd7-e831c6290539}" />

        <EventID>225</EventID>

        <Data Name="ProcessId">2896</Data>

        <Data Name="ProcessNameLength">97</Data>

        <Data Name="ProcessName">\Device\HarddiskVolume3\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2008.4-0\MsMpEng.exe</Data>

        <Data Name="DeviceInstanceLength">36</Data>

        <Data Name="DeviceInstance">USB\VID_0BC2&PID_2322\MSFT30NA8K2QEH</Data>

      </EventData>

    </Event>

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-12T13:33:12+00:00

    I don't disagree with anything posted here. I am still having some issues with my USB drive having corrupted files and or folders after coping new data to the drive. It could be because Defender is still running and maybe not clearing the new files as safe. I do not know. I've continued to look for ways to get around this issue. Maybe Defender is the problem. And where is msft in all of this??

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-08T01:56:13+00:00

    @fg2001

    I use Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909 - OS build: 18363.959 and this Windows Defender problem also occurs on my PC.

    Jose, 

    The quick removal for external drives is already set as default. That is not the issue, when eject is issued they should first stop the activity of windows defender on the drive and then eject correctly.

    If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909.

    I had 1909 for over a year and never had any problems with eject.

    It all started for me with v 2004 in 5 different machines.

    Also I don't get the problem with any insider development build up to build 20180.

    [Machine Translation]

    @ fg2001,

    Thanks for the answer!

      • Yes, Quick Removal by default is already OK. I posted the link just to show Microsoft's official information about this feature.

    2) - "... If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909 ..."

    Yes, the USB device removal problem and Windows Defender in version 1909 started recently. Before it worked correctly.

    Hi Jose, 

    Thanks for the confirmation. I just hope that MS comes out with a fix soon.

    As I said earlier the problem is not just with USB devices, but also with external SATA devices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-08T00:22:04+00:00

    @fg2001

    I use Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909 - OS build: 18363.959 and this Windows Defender problem also occurs on my PC.

    Jose, 

    The quick removal for external drives is already set as default. That is not the issue, when eject is issued they should first stop the activity of windows defender on the drive and then eject correctly.

    If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909.

    I had 1909 for over a year and never had any problems with eject.

    It all started for me with v 2004 in 5 different machines.

    Also I don't get the problem with any insider development build up to build 20180.

    [Machine Translation]

    @ fg2001,

    Thanks for the answer!

      • Yes, Quick Removal by default is already OK. I posted the link just to show Microsoft's official information about this feature.

    2) - "... If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909 ..."

    Yes, the USB device removal problem and Windows Defender in version 1909 started recently. Before it worked correctly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-08-04T05:50:02+00:00

    @fg2001

    I use Windows 10 Pro - Version 1909 - OS build: 18363.959 and this Windows Defender problem also occurs on my PC.

    Jose, 

    The quick removal for external drives is already set as default. That is not the issue, when eject is issued they should first stop the activity of windows defender on the drive and then eject correctly.

    If you see the problem also with 1909, that means that they introduced the bug with some recent changes of the defender also in 1909.

    I had 1909 for over a year and never had any problems with eject.

    It all started for me with v 2004 in 5 different machines.

    Also I don't get the problem with any insider development build up to build 20180.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments