Deactivating windows defender before plugin an external device can also be a temporary "solution"
Windows Defender stopping me from ejecting harddrive
After uninstalling Norton (as it came preinstalled after on my computer) I started to experience an issue, whenever I would try to eject my hard drive I would get an error, after looking in event viewer I saw an error talking about how msmpeng.exe was stopping it from ejecting. After researching I found out that this task was windows defender.
However I have tried everything to stop this from happening to no avail, Ive gone into its settings to turn it off and yet it still runs in the background still blocking be from ejecting my hard drive, attempting to close msmpeng.exe in task manager gives me an error that I dont have permission (with no way to change this) I have then followed guides about going into edit to make a file called disablelivespywareprotection (something like that) and now Im out of answers, Am I now forced to just unplug it unsafely or something? please help
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2020-10-23T15:40:12+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-10-19T00:06:18+00:00 "...The only way around for me now is by adding the external device or devices on the exclusion list for windows defender.
Assuming the device assigned letter(s) are the same each time you plug in the external device..."
[Machine Translation]
@fg2001,
Good idea to work around the problem!
-
Anonymous
2020-10-18T17:33:50+00:00 I have the same problem
Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2009.7-0\MsMpEng.exe
October 2020
Doesn't Microsoft have a testing team??
Fix it!!
Unfortunately, MS is not doing anything to fix this, I have seen the same issue with Insider build 20236.1005.
The only way around for me now is by adding the external device or devices on the exclusion list for windows defender.
Assuming the device assigned letter(s) are the same each time you plug in the external device.
You would think that Windows system could release the device from defender when it needs to be ejected, but with recent changes it does not, it is really silly !😜
-
Anonymous
2020-10-18T12:33:37+00:00 I have the same problem
Windows Defender\Platform\4.18.2009.7-0\MsMpEng.exe
October 2020
Doesn't Microsoft have a testing team??
Fix it!!
-
Anonymous
2020-08-20T23:49:32+00:00 this url should be unansweredquestions.microsoft.com
I have yet to get any answer on any question from this site.