BTW, in 19042.928, there is no safe to remove dialog. The drive symbol just disappears from the tray.
@stumit,
Not sure what dialog you are referring to ?
This is with 19042.928
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
After uninstalling Norton (as it came preinstalled after on my computer) I started to experience an issue, whenever I would try to eject my hard drive I would get an error, after looking in event viewer I saw an error talking about how msmpeng.exe was stopping it from ejecting. After researching I found out that this task was windows defender.
However I have tried everything to stop this from happening to no avail, Ive gone into its settings to turn it off and yet it still runs in the background still blocking be from ejecting my hard drive, attempting to close msmpeng.exe in task manager gives me an error that I dont have permission (with no way to change this) I have then followed guides about going into edit to make a file called disablelivespywareprotection (something like that) and now Im out of answers, Am I now forced to just unplug it unsafely or something? please help
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
No it does not add the drive. It is quite simple. It does nothing. I understand how to do it perfectly fine, windows does nothing when I do what you said to do. Will not allow me to add the drive.
@BWX,
Sorry, without seeing what you are doing, I cant help you, I've been excluding the external drive from Defender for over a year without any issue.
Came here with the same problem on 19042.928.
Most of the other suggestions are destructive or will leave you dangerously undefended.
I set for better performance and the eject button works fine.
Flushing only took a few seconds and I had just overwritten ~20G.
The EJECTING_GET_OFF_THIS_DRIVE message is not getting to Defender if the drive is set to quick eject.
Maybe Defender is not listening in that case, which would seem reasonable - it's a readonly process.
If the drive is on laptop power, the performance setting is safe if you use eject.
BTW, in 19042.928, there is no safe to remove dialog. The drive symbol just disappears from the tray.
@stumit,
That does not solve the problem for me, it has been like this for about a year.
The only way that worked for me is by excluding the root Folder of the external drive in defender.
Keep in mind that recently, besides MsMpEng.exe there was another possible cause for people that use INTEL DSA, DSAService (32 bit) that prevented the ejection, so we need to check the event viewer to see the message on error 225 and check for the culprit, there could be other reasons too.
Not sure if they fixed that DSA problem in 19042.928, it was reported in FBH.
No it does not add the drive. It is quite simple. It does nothing. I understand how to do it perfectly fine, windows does nothing when I do what you said to do. Will not allow me to add the drive.