16 April 2020, Windows 10 update gave me a blue screen and now does not accept my password to get in, cannot connect to Wifi Please Someone HELP

Anonymous
2020-04-18T03:28:44+00:00

I restarted after update and AVG needed drivers updated.  did that then came back to laptop and had blue screen with the following message

failed:  amdsfhkmdf.sys

Stopcode: WDF.VIOLATION

Followed all instructions but get stopped as my password nor 6 digits code is not accepted.

changed password but as computer is not connected ( cannot) to internet (only Wifi)  it cannot see the new password

please someone help

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-18T03:37:11+00:00

Hi Joke. I'm Greg, an installation specialist, 10 year Windows MVP, and Volunteer Moderator. If you will work with me I will be here to help until the issue is resolved.

Here are steps to recover from failed Updates or Version Update install which causes Windows to fail to start or function. If any steps won't work then report back and move on to the next. At least one step will always work, leading up to if necessary doing an automated Reset or a gold standard Clean Install:

  1. Try whichever method works in this tutorial link to get into Advanced Startup Options to run System Restore or Uninstall Updates button, or if this is a version update Go Back to Old Version: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc....

Easiest is to restart or force shutdown the PC 3 times to force it into Repair Mode.

If you are able to access System Restore or Go Back and it fails, skip to step 3.

  1. If necessary borrow another PC and follow the steps in the middle of this download page to create bootable installation media to access the repair options if not accessible by any other method: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m.... The bootable media is also the only method that doesn't require the password if you're stuck on that.

Boot media by powering up the PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

You may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup to turn off Fast Boot if it won't allow the Boot Menu key to interrupt starting Windows: https://www.mydigitallife.net/comprehensive-lis.... The bootable media also does not require password.

Choose UEFI version of media if offered, browse to second screen to Repair Your Computer link.

  1. Choose Advanced Troubleshoot options to run System Restore, the new Uninstall Updates button, or if this was a version Update choose More Options to Go Back to Old Version.

If it rolls back then you can hide the Windows Updates and Version Upgrade responsible until they mature by installing and running immediately the Hide Updates tool: https://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent...

There is a new option after Version 1809 to roll back Windows Updates from the Repair Mode in Option Four here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5486-uninst...

If this fails try a Startup Repair, or go back to Troubleshoot Options on the previous screen to Reset your PC which will save your files while reinstalling Windows.

  1. If that fails you can use the booted media created in Step 2 to Clean Install the latest version which should get you past all difficulties as it has hundreds of thousands of others who have followed the steps in this link and never come back to report another problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki... The link compiles the best possible install of Windows 10 that will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given.

There is a step to rescue files from the same bootable media: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

Make sure during the booted install to follow the illustrated steps to delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, then click Next to let it auto-create the needed partitions, format them and begin install - this makes it foolproof.

The media provided for the Clean Install is latest and normally the problems go away with the Clean Install, however if they don't you can find earlier version media to use here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

Burn to DVD or create bootable 8+gb flash stick installer using this tool installed to Windows: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/detail...

Then once you're back in Windows 10, you can block the problem Update using one of these methods:

https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninsta...

For Version Updates the most stable method to install is using the media as shown in these steps for overcoming Version Upgrade problems: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

_________________________

Good news, Microsoft is giving back to users more control over Updates as announced recently here: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/201...

_________________________

Finally, No expert in Forums - where we see the most cases, by the thousands - recommends Avast, AVG. Norton or McAfee, but we have solved many problems over the years by having them uninstalled.

I would uninstall any 3rd party antivirus in Settings > Apps > Apps & Features and try running only built-in Defender which gives adequate protection, best Windows performance, least issues, and is from Microsoft who knows how to protect their OS best.

After uninstalling run the cleanup tool for the AV here:

https://www.bitdefender.com/consumer/support/an...

Restart the PC, then type Security in Start Search, open Windows Defender and Firewall Settings, there and in Windows Defender Security Center fix anything that's flagged.

If you want the best on-demand scanner download and install Malwarebytes from https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

In it's Settings > Protection > Scan Options enable Scan for Rootkits.

Then on Scan tab choose Threat Scan and Run Scan.

Clean up anything found, restart PC and then run again until it comes up clean.

If you want to keep Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner then you can disable its Real Time trial version in it's Settings > Accounts tab.

Next check for damaged System Files by running System File Checker from Step 10 in this checklist:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

If this is not enough then move to Step 11 to do a Repair Install which saves your files, apps and settings while reinstalling Windows, solves most problems.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you will wait to choose if I resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

________________________________________________________

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this answer helpful?

2 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-21T01:17:00+00:00

    Yes I did go from advanced options.

    The confirm your restore point it says: 

    If you changed your Windows Password recently, we recommend that you create a password reset disk.  

    What does this mean?

    I did change my password recently, but that has not been the one I used to get in, which is the original one when I bought the computer and set it up.

    How do I create this reset disk and do I really need to? these things just scare me.

    thanks

    I checked for that Bios key, but I am not sure if my laptop is on there.  

    The laptop I am using is also an ASUS, but a lot older.   It was bought in 2013, running Windows 8.1.

    I am not sure which computer I have to hold the BIOSkey ,the one I am supposed to make the bootable installation from or the one that has crashed.  so confused.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-21T00:41:32+00:00

    Did you try System Restore from the same Advanced Troubleshoot options ? If the driver finder crashed the PC then this would be the way to get back to before that happened. Make sure you choose to show all restore points.

    If not then you can try the Reset.

    It may be necessary to create bootable media on another PC to access Advanced Startup Options to try repairs, a Reset or do the Clean install. The bootable media has it's own set of system files which may work better if the ones on the PC are damaged.

    To create Windows 10 Installation Media on another PC install Media Creation Tool and follow the directions here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/m.... Uncheck the box for Recommended Settings to choose the exact version and bit rate for the target PC only.

    Insert media, boot it by powering up PC while pressing the BIOS Boot Menu Key: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutor...

    If the media won't boot you may need to enter BIOS/UEFI Setup (pressing key given in chart in link above) to turn off Fast Boot or Fast Startup first.

    Choose the boot device as a UEFI device if offered, on second screen choose Repair Your Computer, then Advanced Troubleshoot Options, then System Restore, or the new Uninstall Updates button. If that fails go back to Troubleshoot Options to try a Reset.

    If that fails choose Install Now, then Custom Install, then at the drive selection screen delete all partitions down to Unallocated Space to get it cleanest, click Next to let it create needed partitions and start install - this makes it foolproof. Everything needed to get the best possible Clean Install is here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki.... It is a better install than any amount of money can buy and a great learning experience that will make you the master of your PC because you will learn what works best and how to apply it with your own hands.

    If you have files that aren't backed up you can use the same bootable media to try to rescue your files using these methods: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

    ________________________________________________________

    Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-21T00:22:03+00:00

    Hi Greg,

    Thank you for your continued support.

    I started this morning and the troubleshoot would not let me 'uninstall' updates, so now I tried a start up Repair which did not work.

    it gave me try other options to repair your PC or Shut down to turn of yourPC.

    Log file:  C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

    I will continue to read some more of your info after sending this.  As I understand at the moment I can now only Reset PC, but will look if there is something else to try first.

    I will not be needing the bootable installation, sorry forgot the words, but if I go back up to see what you wrote, I lose what I have written here. I have the password so I understand I will not be needing to set this up. Is that right?

    Since sending this I went to do a System restore,

    There are about 5 restore points, but the furthest one is 18th of April 2.13.53AM (GMT-8:00)

    description:   Install: AVG Driver Updater Installing Drivers

    Drivers OS (C:) (System)

    Affected programs:

    Microsoft Visual C++2012 Redistributable  (x64) -11.0.50727 11.0.50727.1  Program

    Microsoft Visual C++2012 Redistributable  (x86 )-11.0.50727 11.0.50727.1  Program

    Microsoft Visual C++2012 Redistributable  (x86 )-12.0.30501 12.0.30501.0   Program

    Microsoft Visual C++2012 Redistributable  (x86 )-14.0.24123 14.0.24123.0   Program

    Programs and drivers that might be restored....

    None detected.

    This is the info that shows, as I have no understanding what it means, I will wait till I hear from you as I am not sure if this is now the correct thing to do. 

    Thank you

    JokeVV

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-20T18:47:50+00:00

    I'm glad to help JV. Keep me posted on your progress as I will be here to help until the case is resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments