Forza Horizon 4 - Game crashes - I have the solution

Anonymous
2020-04-25T23:36:59+00:00

Hi.

I see many Forza Horizon 4 threads or other games using Windows 10 and the support consultants tells people to uninstall the Windows 10 1909-build update/KB from peoples PC. Forza devs recommends to uninstall it.

One thing that fixed every game and loading crash or when alt-tabbing was to go into the task manager on my PC after launching the game and I had to go to Taskmanager -> Processes -> from here I had to end the task: Xbox Game Bar.

After I did that, I no longer have game crashes after loading my save, starting a multiplayer session or when alt-tabbing from the game.

Just wanted to let you all know that it was all a Xbox Game Bar-bug while using Windows 10 1909-build. It's not recommended to uninstall a big build-update containing several security and Windows-patches that are recommended to have on a PC, but what the heck: If that is what I must do to play Forza, I rather do that to be able to play.

Update 2021: A full reinstall of a a newer build than Windows 10 1909, also lets me play Forza - for the ones that consider doing it. Build 2004 works fine. I won't update past that build, until Forza Horizon 5 comes in the future, which will most definitely make sure that I won't play Horizon 4 anymore.

These builds works with or without clean-installs with Windows 10. Try both a clean install or rollback to these builds:

Windows 10, build 1809 (still a bit unstable while using Windows, but works well ingame without performance-loss).
Windows 10, build 2004 (The most stable build for Windows 10-usage, Forza Horizion 4 and other games which I have played and still play)

When you have installed or rolled back to one of these to Windows 10-builds, follow this guild, scroll down the website and follow everything for "Option 3":
https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/disable-update-windows-10.html    <--- What this guide using method 3 does, is helping you to disable automatic updates on your Windows 10 PC, so that the PC never updates to a newer Windows 10 build, unless you go to Windows Update and click on "Download". This makes sure that you won't be upgraded to the Windows 10 builds below, which don't work for this game.

These Windows 10-builds don't work well with Forza Horizion 4:

Windows 10, build 1903
Windows 10, build 1909
Windows 10, build 20H2

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-27T18:11:10+00:00

    If you want to try to reinstall an earlier version you can get them at Microsoft Tech Bench here: https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

    Burn to DVD using WIndows Image Burner or create bootable flash using one of the options here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

    Then this time follow the gold standard Clean Install in this link which compiles the best possible Install of Windows which will stay that way as long as you stick with the tools and methods given, has zero reported problems, and is better than any amount of money could buy: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki...

    The reason I suggest this is that no one who has adopted the install in the above link has ever come back to report further problems I've seen, including another version failure. This is because everything in Windows 10 is dependent upon the quality of the install, especially Version Updates which will choke on lesser quality installs. Whether we like it or not, this is where we are in Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-27T19:24:48+00:00

    On your startmenu on Windows, write: winver

    Click on Winver and check if you have Windows 10 1909. If you have, the game wont run correctly. If you can do a rollback to 1809 or 1903, you should do it. The game works best on 1809, but could work on 1903 asswell.

    Guide here: https://www.yourwindowsguide.com/2019/11/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-1909.html

    I'm waiting until they fix this issue because I cannot rollback. Good thing is that I only spent 1 dollar to get one month of game pass. I will buy the game when they have fixed the issues. I dont own a Xbox, or else I would buy it there.

    Good luck friend.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-27T21:45:36+00:00

    I'm going to to try method 3 in this guide after downloading the march 2019 1809 update, and extract the iso and run it from a folder: 

    https://www.minitool.com/backup-tips/go-back-to-earlier-build-not-available.html

    If that doesn't seem to work, I will do a clean install with the iso-file after creating a bootable usb-stick.

    Thanks for the link Greg! At least I will get a legitimate copy of Windows.

    Also I will make the Windows Update service disabled until the Forza team patches the game or that an upcoming build works great with Microsoft published games again. I know that it is not recommended to be on an old build, but I will make sure not to installing  third party programs to make my PC clean from viruses and I will make sure to scan my PC for virus/malware regularly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-28T01:35:28+00:00

    If you didn't previously make a System Image backup then there's nothing to restore with.

    The only stable way to turn off Windows Updates is to set a Metered Connection. It will turn back on WUD Service if you disable it or try anything else. See how to set a Metered Connection here:

    https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-w...

    But if an Update is messing you up then you can System Restore a point before it installed, or uninstall it, then block it as shown here:

    https://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninsta...

    System Restore is your first line of defense if Windows ever malfunctions as it can run even from recovery media to get you back before a problem started. It should always be turned on C drive with plenty of disk space (5-15%) configured. Here's how to check and when necessary how to run System Restore: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-r...

    I hope these help. Let me know if there's anything else.

    Also when ready please mark the post which helped most as the Answer, to help others. A rating is also appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-28T13:52:57+00:00

    I did a clean install of  W10 1809.

    Forza works fine now. Will enable windows updates again when Microsoft releases a a better build/and or patch, or if the Forza team patches their game.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments