How do I get BitLocker recovery key with my Key ID

Anonymous
2020-04-29T09:23:43+00:00

<Locked>

Good afternoon,

My laptop Dell Inspiron suddenly crushed - after restarting it reads that the harddrive is not installed. It is asking for BitLocker Recovery key and below it provides 8 digits of Key ID. I never heard of BitLocker and I tried to access it through my Microsoft account  where it says it's not there. Is there any way how can I recover the BitLocker Recovery key using the 8 digits of Key ID? Please help!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Security and privacy

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-06-04T21:40:40+00:00

I figured it out.  The web site to access the Bitlocker recovery keys has changed.  Go to https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey.

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-04-29T10:07:54+00:00

Hi Martina -

This is Orlando, an Independent Advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand that you're having issues tryin to find your BitLocker Recovery Key and that you only have the 8 Digits Key ID.

BitLocker is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure from lost, stolen, or inappropriately decommissioned computers. You can find more details about BitLocker on this link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/securi...

There are several places that your recovery key may be, depending on the choice that was made when activating BitLocker:

  1. Thru your Microsoft Account
  2. On a Printout you saved
  3. On a USB Flash Drive
  4. It is held by your system administrator

Please refer to this link on finding your BitLocker recovery key in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/453047...

The above list are the only way to recover your BitLocker recovery key. You might want to check with the OEM of your computer to check if they are the one who setup the BitLocker of your computer if the above list does not have your recovery key.

Hope this helps, have a good day.

Thanks,

Orlando Q.

Independent Advisor

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

63 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-06T18:35:44+00:00

    L'emplacement de la clé de récupération a récemment changé, il peut être trouvé sur ce lien : https://onedrive.live.com/recoverykey.

    Je m'excuse pour le grammer, Im en utilisant un traducteur.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-06T18:32:40+00:00

    OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH THANK YOOOOUUU

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-04T17:29:52+00:00

    I have the same question. Bitlock recovery key. I have my Id#

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments