Took 5 minutes and it worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNX2GDzfT6A&feature=youtu.be
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hello. I just updated to Windows 10 version 2004 yesterday, and today the wireless receiver for the Xbox 360 controller stopped working. According to the Device Manager it has turned into an "Unknown Device" without any driver installed. I tried updating the driver using the one from the list (The "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" option), it said that it was installed successfully, but when I clicked "close" and went back to Device Manager, it is still an Unknown Device. I have rebooted the computer several times, still had the same issue. It seems like the only solution left is to go back to the previous version but it's going to take way too long. Does anybody else have this issue or know how to resolve this issue? Thank you!
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Took 5 minutes and it worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNX2GDzfT6A&feature=youtu.be
No worries. I have also tried to reinstall Xbox 360 Accesseories 1.2. Didn’t fix the issue. It seems like the only available driver for Windows 10 is within Windows 10 itself.
Yeah, it's built in, but still would have thought it would be available in case you need to manually refresh it in case of issues.
Is it possible to get it back to a state where it was an unknown device, and then choose the device as a gaming controller from a list of devices? This worked for someone else.
Even though technically it is a wireless receiver and not a controller itself.
Also, make sure it is plugged into a powered USB port (ports on the back of your computer are almost always powered ports...those on the front sometimes aren't).
And also try changing the USB port too as this can make it work.
I have tried to install the 360 controller driver for the receiver and swap USB ports both on the front and back panel, but I am still having the same issue. One thing I did notice is that if I uninstall the driver completely and then scan for hardware changes, there'll be an exclamation point next to the Unknown device; but if I update it with the receiver driver afterward, the exclamation point turns into a question mark. Hopefully this is helpful. I have also tried the receiver on another PC running 1909, the driver installed just fine. So the receiver itself is functional.
Have you tried removing the software from Add & Remove Programs in Control Panel. See if there is Xbox 360 Controller or anything else related there and remove it.
Then go to device manager and remove any drivers and uninstall the device if it is still showing. Make sure you click the View menu and choose to Show Hidden Devices too.
Next unplug the receiver.
Now reboot your computer.
After you have rebooted and are back on your desktop, plug the wireless receiver in and see if it installs properly.