It was Microsoft Edge. I went back to using Chrome and haven't had a problem since.
Microphone detected by windows but mic doesn't work
I'm on Windows 10, using Realtek Audio
Ok here's what I've what's happening and what I've tried-
my headset mic stopped, which uses the 3.5mm jacks on my PC. Audio comes into the headphones fine, but the mic isn't detecting my voice. I figured maybe the mic on my headphones had died; annoying but not a big deal. Waited til my next paycheck and bought a nice fancy USB headset. Same issue. I tested both headsets on a different computer- the mics work fine on it, only on my PC does the mic not work. The microphone appears in the Recording Devices menu, but no levels/green bars fluctuate when I speak into the mic.
To recap my troubleshooting steps so far-
I've tried two different headsets- one with a pair of 3.5mm jacks, one with USB. Both are detected in Recording Devices, but neither work. Both mics work on other computers and with my phone. Just for clarity, I use them individually- I had one headset, then when the issue first popped up I bought another, thinking the mic had died. Audio plays fine, just the mic doesn't work.
The device is enabled in the Sound menu. No levels (the green bar that should rise and fall when it detects sound) are detected in the Recording Devices menu.
My Privacy Options have been checked, my mic is listed as "on" and all apps have access to my mic. I've tried Troubleshoot in the Windows Settings menu under Sound but I get the message "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."
Tried using the Troubleshoot button in Windows, but no problem is detected.
My headset/microphone appears in my Device Manager.
All drivers are updated, both for my soundcard and for the microphone/headsets themselves.
I've also tried re-installing windows without any change, and I've tried plugging both mics into different ports (I have several USB ports and 2 different sets of 3.5mm ports, neither worked with the mics.I've tried downloading drivers from the manufacturers of my mic as well.
I have no clue what else to check. Volume is up, mute is not on, and again- both microphones I've tested work on other devices. The sound from the computer comes in fine, but I cannot get any microphone to work, even though it is detected.
If you need any additional info from me to possibly troubleshoot this issue, feel free to ask and I will deliver. Thanks for any and all support on this! I really, really want to use my mic again!
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2020-09-11T18:04:35+00:00 -
Anonymous
2020-10-21T21:44:04+00:00 Thank you GeorgeRickel (see August 8, 2020 post on page 2). I had tried lots of other suggestions to try to make a built in laptop microphone start working again. I could tell the microphone was working because the bar on the "Test your microphone" on the "Sound" page of "Settings" moved every time a created a sound. But the microphone would not work with applications. As soon as I turned off "Allow apps to use voice activation", my microphone started working with applications again.
-
Anonymous
2020-10-22T04:30:22+00:00 Hi yes help to fix the problem thank you
-
Anonymous
2020-11-02T17:37:45+00:00 It helped a lot thanks.
-
Anonymous
2020-11-08T16:56:25+00:00 same happened to and this solved it, good luck
If you're having trouble with your microphone, let's start by making sure your microphone has full permission to run in Windows. If your microphone is no longer detected after updating Windows 10, you may need to give apps permission to use it.
- To let apps access the microphone, select the Start button, and then select Settings > Privacy > Microphone.
- Under "Allow access to the microphone on this device", it should state, "Microphone access for this device is on." Select the Change button to make sure the setting is set to On.
- Then make sure Allow apps to access your microphone is also set to On.
- After allowing access to the microphone, you can choose which apps can access these features under Choose which apps can access your microphone.