Microphone detected by windows but mic doesn't work

Anonymous
2020-04-18T23:12:26+00:00

I'm on Windows 10, using Realtek Audio

Ok here's what I've what's happening and what I've tried-

my headset mic stopped, which uses the 3.5mm jacks on my PC. Audio comes into the headphones fine, but the mic isn't detecting my voice.  I figured maybe the mic on my headphones had died; annoying but not a big deal. Waited til my next paycheck and bought a nice fancy USB headset. Same issue. I tested both headsets on a different computer- the mics work fine on it, only on my PC does the mic not work. The microphone appears in the Recording Devices menu, but no levels/green bars fluctuate when I speak into the mic.

To recap my troubleshooting steps so far-

I've tried two different headsets- one with a pair of 3.5mm jacks, one with USB. Both are detected in Recording Devices, but neither work. Both mics work on other computers and with my phone. Just for clarity, I use them individually- I had one headset, then when the issue first popped up I bought another, thinking the mic had died. Audio plays fine, just the mic doesn't work.

The device is enabled in the Sound menu. No levels (the green bar that should rise and fall when it detects sound) are detected in the Recording Devices menu.

My Privacy Options have been checked, my mic is listed as "on" and all apps have access to my mic. I've tried Troubleshoot in the Windows Settings menu under Sound but I get the message "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

Tried using the Troubleshoot button in Windows, but no problem is detected.

My headset/microphone appears in my Device Manager.

All drivers are updated, both for my soundcard and for the microphone/headsets themselves.

I've also tried re-installing windows without any change, and I've tried plugging both mics into different ports (I have several USB ports and 2 different sets of 3.5mm ports, neither worked with the mics.I've tried downloading drivers from the manufacturers of my mic as well.

I have no clue what else to check. Volume is up, mute is not on, and again- both microphones I've tested work on other devices. The sound from the computer comes in fine, but I cannot get any microphone to work, even though it is detected.

If you need any additional info from me to possibly troubleshoot this issue, feel free to ask and I will deliver. Thanks for any and all support on this! I really, really want to use my mic again!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T03:19:50+00:00

    yes I've tried and fluctuated between rear and front but still nothing at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-04-19T03:10:35+00:00

    Hi ObitoM,

    I understand your frustrations man. Have you tried the rear mic/sound port of the PC? If not, you can test that out. Also, try disabling other inputs in Sound > Recording other than your headset. If you have any other output devices, repeat for the Playback tab. If those didn't work, check your Realtek Audio Manager if there are some settings to change.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T02:53:15+00:00

    thanks again but nothing seems to be working. dang this is really frustrating like if only i could just find a place with lists of everything i could do for my microphone symptoms, so i know if non of those work i either just need to get a new sound card or get a Bluetooth 5.0 adapter so i can use my air pods.  but i can give up ill keep searching if u have any more ideas of things i can do pleas let me know of them thank you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-04-19T01:53:18+00:00

    Hi ObitoM, you're very welcome. It really is weird. In case you want to dig deeper, you can check GPO and registry settings as well. Maybe you can pick up something, who knows.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/102647-allo...

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T01:31:17+00:00

    thx although it didn't work i appreciate the help. whats weird is the sound card still takes other devices so i'm highly confused and the audio works fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments