Microphone detected by windows but mic doesn't work

Anonymous
2020-04-18T23:12:26+00:00

I'm on Windows 10, using Realtek Audio

Ok here's what I've what's happening and what I've tried-

my headset mic stopped, which uses the 3.5mm jacks on my PC. Audio comes into the headphones fine, but the mic isn't detecting my voice.  I figured maybe the mic on my headphones had died; annoying but not a big deal. Waited til my next paycheck and bought a nice fancy USB headset. Same issue. I tested both headsets on a different computer- the mics work fine on it, only on my PC does the mic not work. The microphone appears in the Recording Devices menu, but no levels/green bars fluctuate when I speak into the mic.

To recap my troubleshooting steps so far-

I've tried two different headsets- one with a pair of 3.5mm jacks, one with USB. Both are detected in Recording Devices, but neither work. Both mics work on other computers and with my phone. Just for clarity, I use them individually- I had one headset, then when the issue first popped up I bought another, thinking the mic had died. Audio plays fine, just the mic doesn't work.

The device is enabled in the Sound menu. No levels (the green bar that should rise and fall when it detects sound) are detected in the Recording Devices menu.

My Privacy Options have been checked, my mic is listed as "on" and all apps have access to my mic. I've tried Troubleshoot in the Windows Settings menu under Sound but I get the message "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."

Tried using the Troubleshoot button in Windows, but no problem is detected.

My headset/microphone appears in my Device Manager.

All drivers are updated, both for my soundcard and for the microphone/headsets themselves.

I've also tried re-installing windows without any change, and I've tried plugging both mics into different ports (I have several USB ports and 2 different sets of 3.5mm ports, neither worked with the mics.I've tried downloading drivers from the manufacturers of my mic as well.

I have no clue what else to check. Volume is up, mute is not on, and again- both microphones I've tested work on other devices. The sound from the computer comes in fine, but I cannot get any microphone to work, even though it is detected.

If you need any additional info from me to possibly troubleshoot this issue, feel free to ask and I will deliver. Thanks for any and all support on this! I really, really want to use my mic again!

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-07-09T09:26:25+00:00

    I have the same issue! I have tried with a pair of earphone, a pair of gaming headphone in both audio jack and a USB mic they all get detected but dont want to hear me. If i tap on the microphone the bar moves but the voice do nothing.. Just weird.

    IT is ridiculous that we need to reinstall the whole windows to fix that or buy an other computer or maybe audio card or other stuff that do not guarantee that it would fix it..

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-18T03:43:38+00:00

    The only way we were able to solve this problem (after trying all sorts of stuff with a Microsoft rep) was with a total Windows reinstall. That fixed it. It does seem like it must have been caused by an update of some sort.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-17T23:45:22+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. I didn't notice it until last week, but it could have happened a month ago or so. I reset my PC and the USB devices still won't work for DIscord or for recording music. They're there and you can even listen to them if you select "Listen to device" in the Sound setting window, but it doesn't show any sound on the meter. This is not my sound card, this is definitely Microsoft's update that rolled out. I just don't know which one.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-23T01:21:19+00:00

    I am having the same issue (except that the microphone is detected in "Test your microphone" but programs don't get the data.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-21T23:21:49+00:00

    Have you found a solution? I'm having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments