The microphone on my Hp laptop does not work! I have checked EVERYTHING in the settings as well and all "seem" to be fine but nothing will work. What should I do I just got this less than 2 months ago.
Microphone detected by windows but mic doesn't work
I'm on Windows 10, using Realtek Audio
Ok here's what I've what's happening and what I've tried-
my headset mic stopped, which uses the 3.5mm jacks on my PC. Audio comes into the headphones fine, but the mic isn't detecting my voice. I figured maybe the mic on my headphones had died; annoying but not a big deal. Waited til my next paycheck and bought a nice fancy USB headset. Same issue. I tested both headsets on a different computer- the mics work fine on it, only on my PC does the mic not work. The microphone appears in the Recording Devices menu, but no levels/green bars fluctuate when I speak into the mic.
To recap my troubleshooting steps so far-
I've tried two different headsets- one with a pair of 3.5mm jacks, one with USB. Both are detected in Recording Devices, but neither work. Both mics work on other computers and with my phone. Just for clarity, I use them individually- I had one headset, then when the issue first popped up I bought another, thinking the mic had died. Audio plays fine, just the mic doesn't work.
The device is enabled in the Sound menu. No levels (the green bar that should rise and fall when it detects sound) are detected in the Recording Devices menu.
My Privacy Options have been checked, my mic is listed as "on" and all apps have access to my mic. I've tried Troubleshoot in the Windows Settings menu under Sound but I get the message "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."
Tried using the Troubleshoot button in Windows, but no problem is detected.
My headset/microphone appears in my Device Manager.
All drivers are updated, both for my soundcard and for the microphone/headsets themselves.
I've also tried re-installing windows without any change, and I've tried plugging both mics into different ports (I have several USB ports and 2 different sets of 3.5mm ports, neither worked with the mics.I've tried downloading drivers from the manufacturers of my mic as well.
I have no clue what else to check. Volume is up, mute is not on, and again- both microphones I've tested work on other devices. The sound from the computer comes in fine, but I cannot get any microphone to work, even though it is detected.
If you need any additional info from me to possibly troubleshoot this issue, feel free to ask and I will deliver. Thanks for any and all support on this! I really, really want to use my mic again!
Windows for home | Windows 10 | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
45 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2020-08-17T03:26:35+00:00 -
Deleted
This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.
Comments have been turned off. Learn more
-
Anonymous
2020-07-25T01:06:46+00:00 I can't find a way to make it to work
-
Anonymous
2020-07-10T20:08:49+00:00 Agreed! Fortunately, the problem has not reappeared for us (knocking on wood).
-
Paulo GM 72,650 Reputation points Independent Advisor
2020-04-19T00:27:27+00:00 Hi ObitoM,
You're right. Just uninstall the driver then reboot. Run Scan for Hardware changes on Device Manager if it doesn't install on startup for the generic driver to install.