I Think I Deleted System32

Anonymous
2020-04-14T12:58:07+00:00

I am using a HP Stream 14' laptop, and while trying to free up space, I highlighted most folders, and clicked delete. From there, airplane mofe was stuck to on, WiFi wouldnt turn on, I was getting an error for sound driver, and i restarted my PC and it took me into the Automatic Repair loop. From there, I couldn't use reset my PC, I have no backuos, StartUp check doesn't work either. I followed some tutorials and it said to run SFC, so I did that - Windows Resource Protection failed or something like that. I tried to use chkdsk /f but it said the type is ntsf and its write protected. I do not have access to another computer, but I do have a high-end smartphone with lots of memory to spare, and I also have a USB-C to USB adapter, so if theres anything I can download on android and plug into the computer, I think i can do that with my android smartphone. I just need help, please...

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-19T15:38:19+00:00

    Both my USBs have trouble, they both keep getting errors, ISO 2 USB keeps saying "Can't find USB Driver", tried using another app called EtchDroid, that didn't work either, and DriveDroid requires root. I'n really lost here right now. If the iso is 100% required to fix this, I probably don't have a choice but to get a new laptop. I'd understand if you no longer have a solution, after all I am working with minimal resources. Also, just had a thought. The EtchDroid app did say it cant burn Windows isos due to its large file size, but would it work if I installed another OS iso to my laptop, then used that laptop to create a Windows 10 bootable USB, then booted up Windows 10 to the laptop? Will I have to activate Windows? Also I'm not very knowledgeable in pcs, in case this makes no sense.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-20T01:12:31+00:00

    Hi Kai,

    You can download Windows 7 ISO then upgrade to Windows 10 after, but you might still need a Windows 7 product key to activate it.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/...

    No worries, let's try another route. Unplug everything from all USB ports, including your installation media.

    Then, reboot your PC, and each time you see the Windows logo while booting, turn your PC off by hard shutdown. Repeat this 3 or 5 times until you're able to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) > Advanced options > click Command Prompt.

    1. Once you're in Command Prompt, run the following command one-line-at-a-time.

    bootrec /fixmbr

    bootrec /fixboot

    bootrec /rebuildbcd

    sfc /scannow

    1. Once done, reboot your PC & see if you're able to get into Windows.

    (NOTE: If encounter errors along the way, let me know first before trying the next step below.)

    1. Otherwise, if all fails, you may also try if you're able to Factory Reset your HP laptop, but it might revert to its' original OS (either Windows 7 or 8).

    Turn off your PC. Hold down the F11 key while pressing the Power On button of your laptop. Once there, select "System Recovery" & follow the next instructions.

    I hope this helps. Let me know how you go. Thank you!

    Sincerely,

    Paul A.

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-20T09:26:26+00:00

    When I boot up, I do noy see a hp or Windows logo. It is a dark grey screen, with "esc for startup" in the bottom left corner. Then it takes me to the no bootable device -- insert boot disk and prese any key.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-20T09:42:20+00:00

    Also, when I got my laptop it was running Windows 10. If it does g9 back to Windows 7/8, will I have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-21T06:58:20+00:00

    Hi Kai,

    Yes, you'll have to purchase a Windows 7 key. How about following these steps below, then repeat the last steps I've provided & see if you can get into the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE).

    1. Unplug everything from all USB ports, including your installation media.
    2. Go back to BIOS by repeatedly pressing the ESC key > as soon as you see the "Startup Menu", press F10 to enter the BIOS Setup.
    3. When in BIOS, navigate to "System Configuration > Boot Options" & ensure that the Hard drive is on top of the Boot Order lists for both Legacy & UEFI > press F10 to Save & Exit.

    Now, this is the only last resort to get to the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) to repair your Windows without any USB/CD.

    If the boot error is persistent (with or without the USB installation media), that means both your USB & Hard drive are having issues. If that's the case, then I'd recommend purchasing a new Hard disk too.

    I hope this helps. Let me know how you go. Thank you!

    Sincerely,

    Paul A.

    Independent Advisor

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments