Hi Kai,
Alright, then kindly try X then.
attrib x:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren x:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Let me know how you go. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Paul A.
Independent Advisor
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I am using a HP Stream 14' laptop, and while trying to free up space, I highlighted most folders, and clicked delete. From there, airplane mofe was stuck to on, WiFi wouldnt turn on, I was getting an error for sound driver, and i restarted my PC and it took me into the Automatic Repair loop. From there, I couldn't use reset my PC, I have no backuos, StartUp check doesn't work either. I followed some tutorials and it said to run SFC, so I did that - Windows Resource Protection failed or something like that. I tried to use chkdsk /f but it said the type is ntsf and its write protected. I do not have access to another computer, but I do have a high-end smartphone with lots of memory to spare, and I also have a USB-C to USB adapter, so if theres anything I can download on android and plug into the computer, I think i can do that with my android smartphone. I just need help, please...
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hi Kai,
Alright, then kindly try X then.
attrib x:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren x:\boot\bcd bcd.old
Let me know how you go. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Paul A.
Independent Advisor
I tried running the lines that you said, it said path not found. I tried using both C and D. I do not know what drive windows is on, and my laptop doesn't have an ethernet adapter. I dont know if this helps, but when I open CMD, it starts me with X:\windows\system33\cmd.exe.
Hi Kai,
It's alright, the 0 installation only means Windows exists but bootrec cannot find it. To fix that, kindly go back to the Command Prompt & run these 2 commands below first. Once done, re-run the prior 3 bootrec commands I previously sent. If you get an "Add installation to boot list?" prompt after running the "bootrec /rebuildbcd" command, just click Y for yes, and reboot your PC.
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
As for the SFC & DISM commands, make sure you plug your PC to an ethernet wired connection first & check if you're able to boot to Safe Mode with Networking upon PC reboot to Windows DVD/CD/installation media. If yes, log in there & open the Command Prompt as Administrator & run the SFC & DISM commands again.
By the way, what drive letter is your Windows installed on? Is it in C or D drive?
Let me know how you go. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Paul A.
Independent Advisor
Okay, all the bootrec commands were completed successfully. Im not sure if this is bad, but when I did rebuildbcd it said I had 0 windows installations. I then fid sfc /scannow. It verified, but then I got this message
Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
For all the DISM commands, I got this message.
DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option. The DISM log file can be found at X:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log.
Hi Kai,
I'm Paul, a fellow customer like you & an Independent Advisor. Kindly try these steps below & see if it fixes your issue.
• If you have a CD/DVD Windows installer, you can reboot from that CD. Once there, click Troubleshoot > Advanced options > click Command Prompt.
• If that won't work, then try these steps. Reboot your PC, and each time you see the Windows logo while booting, turn your PC off by hard shutdown. Repeat this 3 times & you should enter the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) > Advanced options > click Command Prompt.
• If that won't work, download a USB bootable installation media & boot from that by changing the boot sequence in the BIOS/UEFI menu.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-downlo...
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:repairSource\install.wim
I hope this helps. Let me know how you go. Thank you!
Sincerely,
Paul A.
Independent Advisor