Windows 10 100 % disk usage

Anonymous
2020-02-26T13:40:33+00:00

New to Windows , so please excuse me if this has been covered in the past.

How do i correct the 100 % disk usage that has my computer by the throat ... Its causing major slowdowns. 

I have - Windows updates ON and current.

I am only running 1 app on this computer ( quickbooks accounting )

This happen seven when the computer is at rest.

Thanks in advance

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-16T12:10:43+00:00

    I have the same problem on 2 HP laptops. I don't understand the Power Supply fix, there are so many Windows 10 users with this problem that makes me believe that the power supply fix is a red herring. (Unless the latest windows update has found a way to break power supplies!).

    I have worked through many "solutions" found on the web, (except the power supply as it is a little more difficult with a laptop). I have change disk drives, re-installed windows but so far nothing has worked for any length of time.

    Come on Microsoft, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix your software. I am seriously thinking about ditching Windows for Linux due to this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-09-16T12:42:07+00:00

    Just a thought, but I am running 3 laptops and a PC at the moment. 2 of my laptops have i7 processors and suffer with the 100% disk problem, the other laptop and PC are running i9 processors and so far are fine. All 4 machines are running windows 10 version 2004.

    Could it be that the latest windows 2004 version is causing the problem when running on an i7 processor system, or maybe other older hardware or firmware that are used in the older systems?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T18:23:36+00:00

    I have the same problem and Microsoft Teams just started showing up using disk bandwidth.

    I have removed McAfee and stopped/disabled other processes including windows update. Tried 14 different things to no avail.

    I am on a Dell all in one and have worked for years to solve the issue.

    It is a shame that task manager does not actually show what is throttling the disk usage. That would make it easy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-22T18:48:56+00:00

    This was an issue I never did solve.  I should have sent the laptop back to ACER during the first two years.  But when MS 10 support would get me functional again, I would forget about it.  I don't know why it kept defaulting back to thinking the disk was 100% used.  And reinstalling it did not work either.  The 3 year old laptop blue screened when I tried to completely start over.  I bought an all in one.  And everything works perfectly, including windows 10 and the updates, etc.  So I can only presume this was a messed up laptop that would never be compatible with 10 for whatever reason.  Good luck!!  Very frustrating.  I feel for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-05T13:34:26+00:00

    Do you mean that you replaced your power cord? Or your battery?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments