Good Morning.... THANK YOU for your reply. One step that I cannot seem to "find" is PROCESS DISK...
"then on top of same window page select 'Process disk' 'check' write, read, write bytes, read bytes"
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
New to Windows , so please excuse me if this has been covered in the past.
How do i correct the 100 % disk usage that has my computer by the throat ... Its causing major slowdowns.
I have - Windows updates ON and current.
I am only running 1 app on this computer ( quickbooks accounting )
This happen seven when the computer is at rest.
Thanks in advance
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
I did finally find my culprit after trying all the 12 steps of (superfetch, defender off,
resetting
INTEL(R) ICH9M/M-E Family 4 prot SATA AHCI Controller - 2929 as follows: /EN_8086&DEV_2929&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_03\3&3B1BFB68&0&FA
That fixed it for 3 weeks
Now April 29 2020: I downloaded a program - Microsoft Windows "process explorer" downloads and select - unzip file and save to desktop. Open program and select 'view' and click on 'select columns' (bottom choice) - I clicked top of window page 'Process I/O' and 'check' write bytes and read bytes - then on top of same window page select 'Process disk' 'check' write, read, write bytes, read bytes. click on graph I tightened the columns and looks for the program that gave me the most MB used in the left columns. I found a svchost.exe that was using 89MB and 34.7MB - under PID it was 2684 I suspended this line by right clicking on it and selecting suspend. When I right clicked on host process it says Xbox - I had taskmanager open at the same time so I coould see the usage dropped to 1-4% now - it's slow to open Chrome on CPU but works good after it's loaded. Hope this helps.
I did finally find my culprit after trying all the 12 steps of (superfetch, defender off,
resetting
INTEL(R) ICH9M/M-E Family 4 prot SATA AHCI Controller - 2929 as follows: /EN_8086&DEV_2929&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_03\3&3B1BFB68&0&FA
That fixed it for 3 weeks
Now April 29 2020: I downloaded a program - Microsoft Windows "process explorer" downloads and select - unzip file and save to desktop. Open program and select 'view' and click on 'select columns' (bottom choice) - I clicked top of window page 'Process I/O' and 'check' write bytes and read bytes - then on top of same window page select 'Process disk' 'check' write, read, write bytes, read bytes. click on graph I tightened the columns and looks for the program that gave me the most MB used in the left columns. I found a svchost.exe that was using 89MB and 34.7MB - under PID it was 2684 I suspended this line by right clicking on it and selecting suspend. When I right clicked on host process it says Xbox - I had taskmanager open at the same time so I coould see the usage dropped to 1-4% now - it's slow to open Chrome on CPU but works good after it's loaded. Hope this helps.
Just so you are totally aware of the environment, Win 10 is running on a virtual machine ( parallels v15 ) and I have ran disk utilities - Mac OS first aid no no errors . This is a 2019 iMac w/16gb ram
Standing by........................
To summarize: It may be a hard disk problem which I am trying to find using the steps I gave above.