Windows 10 100 % disk usage

Anonymous
2020-02-26T13:40:33+00:00

New to Windows , so please excuse me if this has been covered in the past.

How do i correct the 100 % disk usage that has my computer by the throat ... Its causing major slowdowns. 

I have - Windows updates ON and current.

I am only running 1 app on this computer ( quickbooks accounting )

This happen seven when the computer is at rest.

Thanks in advance

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-16T12:10:43+00:00

    I have the same problem on 2 HP laptops. I don't understand the Power Supply fix, there are so many Windows 10 users with this problem that makes me believe that the power supply fix is a red herring. (Unless the latest windows update has found a way to break power supplies!).

    I have worked through many "solutions" found on the web, (except the power supply as it is a little more difficult with a laptop). I have change disk drives, re-installed windows but so far nothing has worked for any length of time.

    Come on Microsoft, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix your software. I am seriously thinking about ditching Windows for Linux due to this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-25T23:53:43+00:00

    SOLVED!  I changed my power supply and disk usage is where it should be.  I have two laptops and just used the other one.  Thank you for pointing this out!  Joe

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-23T05:56:43+00:00

    i have an Acer 64bit, 16 ram, have norton for virus protection and use few software programs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-23T05:41:34+00:00

    I've been dealing with the 100% disk usage problem for over 2 years.  It gets "fixed", only to happen again a few months later.  It has rendered my computer completely idol while downloading updates to "install" in the non active hours.  But the download itself happens at any time during the day, (usually when I need my computer), and takes my computer hostage while it hangs.  I have a job ticket in for an advanced tech for this coming Saturday.  But I admit, I don't think they will be able to ever fix it.  I'm quite disappointed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-06-20T00:05:40+00:00

    search for defragment and optimize drives.

    Select C drive or the drive you have windows installed.

    hit Analyze and once it's completed , hit optimize

    it will take some time to complete

    see if that makes a difference

    try same for other drives as well

    PS : worked for me , no more 100 % disk utilization

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments