Windows 10 100 % disk usage

Anonymous
2020-02-26T13:40:33+00:00

New to Windows , so please excuse me if this has been covered in the past.

How do i correct the 100 % disk usage that has my computer by the throat ... Its causing major slowdowns. 

I have - Windows updates ON and current.

I am only running 1 app on this computer ( quickbooks accounting )

This happen seven when the computer is at rest.

Thanks in advance

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-22T20:59:56+00:00

    Here it is sorted on disk usage - It is mostly microsoft **** that I cannot turen off. It was over 50MBs at 100% usage just before I did this capture

    It does not matter what the disk bandwidth is, the usage is always 100%

      

    When the Microsoft apps quit using the BW, then the disk usage goes below 100% - see that google chrome is now at the top of the list:

    The problem is it took 10 minutes foir the disk usage to drop below 100%. The Disk usage does not follow the actual bandwidth.

    Above usage was 86% at 3.5 MBs

    Below usage was 52% at 8,8 MBs

    They should track

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-22T20:45:44+00:00

    I appreciate your suggestions but none of those things have worked. I even did a clean windows install and the problem returned.

    Here is the screenshot of task manager on the problem computer, notice there is 0.4MBs disk bandwidth but 100% usage. Whatever is using the disk is not sh I need OS level debug in order to figure out what is happening.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-21T20:25:24+00:00

    I mean i want to see photo of Processes with Disk usage(descending). I understand disk usage is 96%. After seeing process names, i can decide what to do? What are causes in PC. 

    Also scan drive errors. For more help to scan drive refer this:

    https://windowsreport.com/scan-drive-errors/

    First of all disable background apps by following :

    Go to Start Win, then select Settings  > Privacy > Background apps. Turn off.

    Remove Temporary files

    Defragment your Windows 10 PC. Refer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/defragment-your-windows-10-pc-048aefac-7f1f-4632-d48a-9700c4ec702a

    Remove unwanted apps by typing "uninstall a program " in type here to search. Or you can also go to control panel and click on uninstall a program. 

    Remove Hard Disk and insert again.

    Your PC performance will surely improve. 

    If problem still not solved, reply to this. I am very eager to solve Disk usage problem of any windows 10 PC. I learned and experiment and do changes and got improvement.

    Don't forget to attach photo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-21T19:16:31+00:00

    The OS is hung up. The bandwidth is stuck at 100% while the apps all total a bare minimum. IT takes forever for a keystroke to show a response on the screen. I wish it were as simple as closing a few apps. This machine has 12GB RAM and 1TB hard drive. It should not run so slow. Here is a typical usage that is locked up at 2MB/s which is low compared to the 20+MB/s capabilities.

    Image

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-04-20T20:01:07+00:00

    Can you send photo of task manager showing 100% or less with click on Disk to sort order in Descending. I solved my Old 2GB RAM laptop 100% CPU usage. It works fine and Quick open apps than previous. By using task manager, 80% problems  can solved easily. 

    Reply to this. I am happy to solve your problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments