Windows 10 100 % disk usage

Anonymous
2020-02-26T13:40:33+00:00

New to Windows , so please excuse me if this has been covered in the past.

How do i correct the 100 % disk usage that has my computer by the throat ... Its causing major slowdowns. 

I have - Windows updates ON and current.

I am only running 1 app on this computer ( quickbooks accounting )

This happen seven when the computer is at rest.

Thanks in advance

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-11T00:19:10+00:00

    Your suggestion of stopping programs does not solve the problem of 100% disk usage caused by OS issues. I have tried this and even a clean OS install. 

    The programs come and go that use bandwidth. Other systems allow those and many other apps to run and do not use all the disk BW. There is something wrong.

    We need to find out what is hanging and finally resolves that is not showing up in the task manager. It takes 10 minutes to initiate things that should take 1 minute.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-06-20T00:05:40+00:00

    search for defragment and optimize drives.

    Select C drive or the drive you have windows installed.

    hit Analyze and once it's completed , hit optimize

    it will take some time to complete

    see if that makes a difference

    try same for other drives as well

    PS : worked for me , no more 100 % disk utilization

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-06-02T09:00:55+00:00

    I fought this battle for a long time, tried every fix on the web I could find...IE turn off superfetch, 14 Tricks to Solve 100% Drive Usage in Windows 10, change this setting in the registry, etc, etc.  Even bought a new hard drive..nothing worked.  My machine has 3 internal drives plus 2 external...mostly occurred on one drive, but the issue would float to others now and then.

    I'm a coder and working with computers since DOS/1982, so have a reasonably good command...this issue haunted me.  Drive would show 100% in Task Manager with 0 bits of data transfer, lock up the machine for 1 or 2 minutes, work right for a little while, sometimes only 5 min, sometimes hours.  I ran Check in the Tools under Properties, CHKDSK in CMD...nothing worked.

    Here's what my issue was that NO post I read ever mentioned....BAD POWER SUPPLY.  Makes no sense to me, but my power supply started shutting off in the middle of my work....then would work after a short rest (for a while), then turn off again.  Put up with that for a day than replaced it and low and behold...everyone of my drives are working like they should...I AM AMAZED!  AND VERY HAPPY! Posting this in case it helps someone.

    Thank you so much for this. I've been having the same issue for months and couldn't figure it out why. Every-time I'd unplug my adapter, The Disk usage would decrease dramatically.

    Example of many applications, processes & services running on Windows 10 but require minimal resources**:**

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-02-27T15:58:36+00:00

    Good Morning,

    Per your request.............

    All updates are current, this was after sitting allnight.idle.

    HELP

    Rodney

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. SD - IA 180K Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2020-02-26T15:35:35+00:00

    No issues - keep us updated. I work from the other side of the planet so it might be a delay in responses :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments