Windows 10 100 % disk usage

Anonymous
2020-02-26T13:40:33+00:00

New to Windows , so please excuse me if this has been covered in the past.

How do i correct the 100 % disk usage that has my computer by the throat ... Its causing major slowdowns. 

I have - Windows updates ON and current.

I am only running 1 app on this computer ( quickbooks accounting )

This happen seven when the computer is at rest.

Thanks in advance

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-22T14:01:04+00:00

    2 of my computers are down. One the hard disk is changed. The next one will also have the hard disk changed.

    I have another 2 dell computers going to have the same problem. Guess, I will change the hard disk again. Trying to clone the hard disk and dump the old hard disk. I need to clone because 1 of the software doesn't have any support left and cannot be activated. MS Office and Acrobat can be downloaded from their websites and can be activated.

    The problem seems to come at the same time with Windows 10 latest update and Windows Search. Once I had 100% disk usage, I have a feeling the disk is spoilt even though I manage to disable the Windows Search which reduces the 100% to 1-10%.

    My hard disk might be down because I tried all the available advice from the internet like scan and repair the hard disk.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-05-19T15:25:57+00:00

    I also have this same issue on 3 Dell computers. 100% Disk usage. I suspect it is related to Windows Search. The problems come at the same time. When you switch on the computer, it is slow. 2 goes into a constant loop. 

    One of my computers crashed after I tried to resolve this issue. There go my purchased programs. I end up having to change to 2 hard disks. 1 software cannot be installed as there is no support now.

    Next, if I disable the Windows Search, the % will go down. But it removes the search function.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-05-11T14:44:48+00:00

    Why does this happen now. I woke up and this just started to happen. It did it a while ago but Ccleaner used to fix it. Nothing gets rid of thos 100% disk usage. Everything is so laggy please help, like I'll even install Windows from scratch if that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-29T23:16:05+00:00

    I did finally find my culprit after trying all the 12 steps of (superfetch, defender off, 

    resetting  

    INTEL(R) ICH9M/M-E Family 4 prot SATA AHCI Controller - 2929 as follows: /EN_8086&DEV_2929&SUBSYS_FF1E1179&REV_03\3&3B1BFB68&0&FA       

    That fixed it for 3 weeks 

    Now April 29 2020: I downloaded a program -  Microsoft Windows "process explorer" downloads and select - unzip file and save to desktop. Open program and select 'view' and click on 'select columns' (bottom choice) -  I clicked top of window page 'Process I/O' and 'check' write bytes and read bytes - then on top of same window page select 'Process disk' 'check' write, read, write bytes, read bytes. click on graph I tightened the columns and looks for the program that gave me the most MB used in the left columns. I found a svchost.exe that was using 89MB and 34.7MB - under PID it was 2684 I suspended this line by right clicking on it and selecting suspend. When I right clicked on host process it says Xbox - I had taskmanager open at the same time so I coould see the usage dropped to 1-4% now - it's slow to open Chrome on CPU but works good after it's loaded. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-02-28T14:50:39+00:00

    I "feal your pain " I only have Windows 10 because I HAVE TOO --- Quickbooks accounting app is all I use the computer for.....and its almost impossible to live with.

    In reguards at Mac, i have a new Mac book air....and its like going from a pedal car car to a Porsche.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments