Disable Get Even More Out of Windows

Anonymous
2020-03-25T10:06:25+00:00

Hello, I'm having a problem with this screen appearing on my computers. I want it, and anything related to halting startup disabled.

What I've tried so far is setting the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserProfileEngagement\ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled to 0, as that was the advice I got online. Didn't work.

I've also tried unchecking the "Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occassionally when I sign in to highlight what's new and suggested" option in Settings->System->Notifications as that was supposed to help too. Didn't work.

What do I need to do to get Microsoft to stop bothering me? Preferably something with a CLI so I can automate it.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-06-05T07:01:07+00:00

    None of the many suggested registry keys worked for me. I was able to observe that when the hated "Get even more out of Windows" screen was displayed, there was a UserOOBEBroker.exe process running. Killing that process doesn't make the screen go away, but doing a reboot does of course. I created a scheduled task to run every five minutes and reboot the machine if UserOOBEBroker.exe is running. The task runs a cmd file that contains a line like this:

    tasklist /fi "imagename eq UserOOBEBroker.exe" | findstr exe > nul && shutdown /r /f /t 0

    My complete cmd file writes a line to a log file, so I'm able to see that a reboot has been triggered. I've had the scheduled task running on 40 remotely-manged machines for a few days, and it's successfully freed up several machines that had the nag screen displayed.

    I wish that MS could give me back all the hours that I spent struggling with this problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-05T17:59:35+00:00

    That's what I'm saying. Bad on Microsoft for making it so hard for those of us that are not tech savvy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-16T17:24:25+00:00

    I disable that registry key already as part of my imaging process. When i make a new windows 10 image, i start up the vm with the network card disconnected. i then run the following command. Need to do it before windows can connect to the internet. I might just be clicking "run as administrator" on this and it does work.

    reg add HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

    I do it this way because when i first started imaging windows 10, certain metro applications would prevent sysprep to run properly. So had to do before they got downloaded and installed.

    Regardless, my point is this is set for me on every machine that has windows 10 in the company. And obviously does not solve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-09-15T23:30:38+00:00

    Once I upgraded my 22 machines from the 1909 to the 2004 Windows release and verified that.  the "Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most out of Windows" is unchecked in Notifications and Actions, I have not had a reoccurrence at any reboots since July. 

    Rick

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-07-31T08:01:15+00:00

    If you're using script, this command is confirmed to work:

    REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserProfileEngagement" /v "ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

    This doesn't work on 1909, just saw the blue setup screen on a device with this registry setting.  Perhaps only 2004 respects the setting?

    This was, as mentioned in the OP, already the setting I tried. Was supposed to work then too. Maybe 2004 finally started respecting the setting again, but I remain skeptical.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments