Disable Get Even More Out of Windows

Anonymous
2020-03-25T10:06:25+00:00

Hello, I'm having a problem with this screen appearing on my computers. I want it, and anything related to halting startup disabled.

What I've tried so far is setting the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserProfileEngagement\ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled to 0, as that was the advice I got online. Didn't work.

I've also tried unchecking the "Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occassionally when I sign in to highlight what's new and suggested" option in Settings->System->Notifications as that was supposed to help too. Didn't work.

What do I need to do to get Microsoft to stop bothering me? Preferably something with a CLI so I can automate it.

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-11T11:29:21+00:00

    I have the same question

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-16T11:40:37+00:00

    Found this list at: 

    https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7bl1f2/has\_anyone\_found\_a\_canonical\_mapping\_of\_windows/

    Seems about right.

    310093 # "Show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and occasionally when I sign in to highlight what's new and suggested"

    338387 # "Get fun facts, tips and more from Windows and Cortana on your lock screen"

    338388 # "Occasionally show suggestions in Start"

    338389 # "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows"

    338393 # "Show me suggested content in the Settings app"

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-12T08:55:26+00:00

    I have also tried the suggestions provided online. Microsoft seems to have removed the Settings option to disable it and stopped checking the registry key, so undoing the ability to turn this off provided in a previous release. Why? It does not obey the remaining Settings option, so how can it now be disabled or turned off? Is there a group policy that will turn off such notifications?

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-06-05T10:46:47+00:00

    Seems like there is finally a solution with the recent release of version 2004.

    With this version, the option "Suggest ways I can finish setting up my device to get the most of of Windows" appears in the control panel, and can be disabled.

    If you're using script, this command is confirmed to work:

    REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserProfileEngagement" /v "ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

    This of course only works for the current logged in user, if you need to disable for other users, you could use a simple batch script like this:(replace "User" with target username)

    for /f "delims= " %%a in ('"wmic useraccount where name='User' get sid"') do (

    if not "%%a"=="SID" (

    set myvar=%%a

    goto :loop_end

    )

    )

    :loop_end

    REG ADD "HKEY_USERS%MYVAR%\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UserProfileEngagement" /v "ScoobeSystemSettingEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-16T13:43:55+00:00

    Interesting suggestion. It led me to the Windows Consumer Features registry key, which may be exactly what I'm looking for. That led me to the following files of batch scripting, which should hopefully disable all the nonsense on Windows 10, or at least the consumer-oriented nonsense.

    :: Request admin prompt, needed for the next line

    Net session >nul 2>&1 || (PowerShell start -verb runas '%~0' &exit /b)

    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent" /v DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

    The bad news is this particular key requires administrator rights in order to modify. The good news is it's the wild west out there, and plenty of companies couldn't care less about silly little things like "security" and "best practices". I personally do a little bit, so if someone knows a good way to do this automatically without requiring user input or disabling UAC, any suggestions for how to accomplish that would be appreciated. Will try out the key for now and hope for the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments