1809 update to 1909/2004 failed,error code: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

Anonymous
2020-03-07T07:38:44+00:00

OS version: Windows10 Home 1809

I used Windows update, MediaCreationTool1909, ISO file and USB install for updating to 1909 but all failed. Then I switched to Insider Preview and tried to update to 2004 but still failed.

Logs:

CBS.log

SetupDiagResults.log

WindowsUpdate.log

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-20T16:57:20+00:00

Try using bcdedit to remove the entry then check the registry to see if it is gone..  Copy and pasting GUID numbers makes it very easy to make sure the ID is correct..

bcdedit /delete {5ea6dc0b-7e7b-4d4e-af09-58846bdaabda}

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-08T19:06:23+00:00

    OK, possibly what is shown is related to the fact an upgrade is in progress.  I see you have no Recovery partition, so I will look at your log with that in mind.

    Maybe the F: drive is the WinPE RamDisk but I was hoping I would see the System EFI partition on a different drive than the OS... will have to look somewhere else.

    Do you have that system set up to debug another system?  The Debugger Settings in the BCD store would seem to indicate that..  Could be another upgrade temporary modification..

    I will keep looking but I don't know why your system can't seem to find the registry entries it needs.

    Not related to the upgrade, but just so you know, your E: drive doesn't have much free space.  I believe the minimum is 10%..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-03-08T19:50:07+00:00

    The last idea I have to try and I don't expect it to work is to check your Recovery Tools options.  I believe repeated upgrade attempts will disable the tools but we might try to set them up again...  

    Open an admin command prompt and type the commands below.

    reagentc /info

    If it comes back and shows as disabled, type the commands below.

    reagentc /disable

    reagentc /enable

    If that won't enable it, we can try to reset the recovery tools image path..

    reagentc /setreimage /path c:\Recovery\WindowsRE /target C:\Windows

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-09T04:20:32+00:00

    WinRE have been enabled already.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-09T13:01:39+00:00

    I spent last night thinking about the Registry entry that was being indicated in the error message.  If you expand out the highlighted section, you can see some of the entries in your bcdedit listing.  It appears the 1200000X numbers are text entries which may show elements of a Section of the BCD store.  If you can identify which section of your BCD listing is the 5ea6dc0b-xxxxxx then we may look at modifying or removing it.. 

    If you want to compare all the entries to that GUID number, you can run the bcdedit with the -v option to show all GUID numbers..

    bcdedit -enum all -v

    It appears that GUID number is associated with the listing below.  Since it is not referenced anywhere else in the BCD Store and is not complete, maybe it is the one causing the problem.  We should be able to remove it without causing problems for your system.

    We will need to check, after removing it, to see if the registry entry is completely gone..

    If you want to try, please let us know.

    Resume from Hibernate


    identifier              {5ea6dc0b-7e7b-4d4e-af09-58846bdaabda}

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments