1809 update to 1909/2004 failed,error code: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

Anonymous
2020-03-07T07:38:44+00:00

OS version: Windows10 Home 1809

I used Windows update, MediaCreationTool1909, ISO file and USB install for updating to 1909 but all failed. Then I switched to Insider Preview and tried to update to 2004 but still failed.

Logs:

CBS.log

SetupDiagResults.log

WindowsUpdate.log

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-20T16:57:20+00:00

Try using bcdedit to remove the entry then check the registry to see if it is gone..  Copy and pasting GUID numbers makes it very easy to make sure the ID is correct..

bcdedit /delete {5ea6dc0b-7e7b-4d4e-af09-58846bdaabda}

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-05-31T08:43:42+00:00

    Hi Saltgrass,

    I tried updating 2004 update today using update assistant - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 but it failed after the first reboot and setup reverted back to the original 1909 build. I run Enterprise Build. The setup did not post any error codes but notified 'undoing changes to the previous build' and reverted. I went through this post and found WINRE is enabled but need help someone reviewing the logs for any possible clues before starting the update again. Really appreciate your help. ( Where I can Upload my logs ? )

    Thank you.

    Pixelbotz

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-25T05:41:07+00:00

    Sorry for reply so late, I deleted it and successfully updated. 😄Thank you!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-24T10:07:51+00:00

    OK, now i read your posts above, i found the corrupted bootloader entry, and removed it with bcdedit /delete {...}

    After then the upgrade is successfully

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-24T08:33:21+00:00

    Are you trying through Windows Update?

    yes, registered to insider slow ring, then restart > windows update. Update started, and after the first restart booted in the old 1909 version with error code 0x80242016.

    I have downloaded application https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc , wich identified the error in the post subject. 0x80004005

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments