1809 update to 1909/2004 failed,error code: 0x80004005 - 0x60016

Anonymous
2020-03-07T07:38:44+00:00

OS version: Windows10 Home 1809

I used Windows update, MediaCreationTool1909, ISO file and USB install for updating to 1909 but all failed. Then I switched to Insider Preview and tried to update to 2004 but still failed.

Logs:

CBS.log

SetupDiagResults.log

WindowsUpdate.log

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-03-20T16:57:20+00:00

Try using bcdedit to remove the entry then check the registry to see if it is gone..  Copy and pasting GUID numbers makes it very easy to make sure the ID is correct..

bcdedit /delete {5ea6dc0b-7e7b-4d4e-af09-58846bdaabda}

Was this answer helpful?

9 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-09-12T12:56:52+00:00

    C:\windows\system32>bcdedit -enum all -v

    Firmware Boot Manager


    identifier              {a5a30fa2-3d06-4e9f-b5f4-a01df9d1fcba}

    displayorder            {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}

    {890f9895-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    {99bb325d-cdb0-11ea-ae03-806e6f6e6963}

    {99bb325e-cdb0-11ea-ae03-806e6f6e6963}

    {99bb325f-cdb0-11ea-ae03-806e6f6e6963}

    timeout                 0

    Windows Boot Manager


    identifier              {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}

    device                  partition=E:

    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description             Windows Boot Manager

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

    default                 {50337278-ed28-4690-a8ff-f715eebd49d3}

    resumeobject            {f9a22711-041a-47ce-aa66-b492b6a53768}

    displayorder            {50337278-ed28-4690-a8ff-f715eebd49d3}

    toolsdisplayorder       {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}

    timeout                 0

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {890f9895-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    device                  partition=E:

    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

    description             Windows Boot Manager

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {890f9896-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    description             EFI PXE 0 for IPv4 (8C-16-45-85-A4-4F)

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {890f9897-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    description             EFI PXE 0 for IPv6 (8C-16-45-85-A4-4F)

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {99bb325d-cdb0-11ea-ae03-806e6f6e6963}

    description             EFI USB Device

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {99bb325e-cdb0-11ea-ae03-806e6f6e6963}

    description             EFI DVD/CDROM

    Firmware Application (101fffff)


    identifier              {99bb325f-cdb0-11ea-ae03-806e6f6e6963}

    description             EFI Network

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier              {50337278-ed28-4690-a8ff-f715eebd49d3}

    device                  partition=C:

    path                    \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description             Windows

    inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}

    osdevice                partition=C:

    systemroot              \windows

    resumeobject            {f9a22711-041a-47ce-aa66-b492b6a53768}

    nx                      OptIn

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier              {890f989a-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    device                  unknown

    path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi

    description             Windows

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}

    recoverysequence        {890f989b-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    recoveryenabled         Yes

    osdevice                unknown

    systemroot              \Windows

    resumeobject            {890f9899-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    nx                      OptIn

    Windows Boot Loader


    identifier              {890f989b-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    device                  ramdisk=[unknown]\Recovery\890f989b-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa\Winre.wim,{890f989c-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    path                    \windows\system32\winload.efi

    description             Windows Recovery Environment

    inherit                 {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}

    osdevice                ramdisk=[unknown]\Recovery\890f989b-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa\Winre.wim,{890f989c-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    systemroot              \windows

    nx                      OptIn

    winpe                   Yes

    custom:46000010         Yes

    Resume from Hibernate


    identifier              {890f9899-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    device                  unknown

    path                    \Windows\system32\winresume.efi

    description             Windows Resume Application

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {1afa9c49-16ab-4a5c-901b-212802da9460}

    filedevice              unknown

    filepath                \hiberfil.sys

    debugoptionenabled      No

    Resume from Hibernate


    identifier              {f9a22711-041a-47ce-aa66-b492b6a53768}

    Windows Memory Tester


    identifier              {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}

    device                  unknown

    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\memtest.efi

    description             Windows Memory Diagnostic

    locale                  en-US

    inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

    badmemoryaccess         Yes

    EMS Settings


    identifier              {0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}

    bootems                 Yes

    Debugger Settings


    identifier              {4636856e-540f-4170-a130-a84776f4c654}

    debugtype               Serial

    debugport               1

    baudrate                115200

    RAM Defects


    identifier              {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2}

    Global Settings


    identifier              {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

    inherit                 {4636856e-540f-4170-a130-a84776f4c654}

    {0ce4991b-e6b3-4b16-b23c-5e0d9250e5d9}

    {5189b25c-5558-4bf2-bca4-289b11bd29e2}

    Boot Loader Settings


    identifier              {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}

    inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

    {7ff607e0-4395-11db-b0de-0800200c9a66}

    Hypervisor Settings


    identifier              {7ff607e0-4395-11db-b0de-0800200c9a66}

    hypervisordebugtype     Serial

    hypervisordebugport     1

    hypervisorbaudrate      115200

    Resume Loader Settings


    identifier              {1afa9c49-16ab-4a5c-901b-212802da9460}

    inherit                 {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}

    Device options


    identifier              {890f989c-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa}

    description             Ramdisk Options

    ramdisksdidevice        unknown

    ramdisksdipath          \Recovery\890f989b-7d40-11e2-8053-9b1bda41daaa\boot.sdi

    what should i do to update my window? ver 1809

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-08-24T22:04:12+00:00

    I see the following in your log with the other BCD cloning errors.  Perhaps you could search regedit.exe and see if the GUID number is listed and what key it is..

    BcdCopyObjectEx: Failed to enumerate source elements. Target: {5ea6dc0b-7e7b-4d4e-af09-58846bdaabda}

    Just replying to say this worked for me. In my giant 200 MB panther log, it said this same "Failed to enumerate source elements" with a different guid. Ran bcdedit /delete {guid} **/f** from an admin command prompt, restarted the 2004 update and it worked perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-07-01T22:17:18+00:00

    LAST UPDATE - BUT WITH HAPPY END.  PACE iLOK causes problem with windows 10 2004 update. 

    I was happy too early. After  instalation of 2004 I saw BSOD "page file in nonpage area". The setuperr indicated tpkd.sys as a problem. This is a driver of Pace iLOK hardware key which protects musical software from being pirated (and windows from being updated). I have to mention here that this is musical computer with tons of copyrighted programs; each has different and very nasty protection, fresh install would be a disaster.

    I uninstalled iLOK software. I had to remove all instances of tpkd.sysmanually (shame on you, Pace !). Then finally everything was fine.

    I installed iLOK soft afterwards, and v. 2004 runs smoothly, restarsts properely. Machine is fast and very stable. iLOK works as it should and I have acces to my software. I don't know though if I would not have to uninstall it once again with next update. 

    Those who have problem and those who are musicians - if you have Pace ILOK remove it, remove all instances of tpkd.sysmanually ! Then install windows.

    Best, Tom

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-07-01T13:05:32+00:00

    Eventually I managed to fix it. As I said, my setup log setupact.logwas very long and therefore too difficult to analyze. I ranamed it to setupact.log.bakand tried to update once again. Of course the update failed bot new short setupact.logappeared and I was able to read in it. I found corrupted registry entry and I deleted it with bcdedit /delete {xxxxxx REG ENTRY HERE xxxx} command. I also copied uicciso.dll  to %SystemRoot%\system32\DRIVERS\UMDFbecause it was missing there and the log suggested that it was not found there; perhaps should be there. Maybe the last action does matter, maybe not.

    After that my update went through. Thanks for invaluable help to ZsoltHorváth3 and everyone else here !!

    Regards, Tom

    (EDITED)  there was one more problem with my PC - read below but for most users**bcdedit /delete improper BCD registry entry fixes the problem I hope).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments