Removing an account from "Emails & Accounts" in Windows 10

Anonymous
2020-03-25T00:52:32+00:00

I cannot remove an account from Settings /  Email & Accounts / Manage. The delete button does not appear. When I click Manage, my browser opens and tells me to sign into an account in Microsoft Online. It was an account that I used for an old domain, that was connected to a MS Office product.

How do I get rid of these account and the annoying reminders that "there is a problem with my account"?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-15T08:38:11+00:00

    This worked for me too - I only saw the 'Manage' button in Settings/Email & Accounts, but could see the 'Disconnect' button when looking at the section that is two below Email & Accounts, Access work or school. Clicking 'Disconnect' removed the account from Email & Accounts too.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-02-28T20:31:20+00:00

    I can understand Microsoft wanting to associate products with an account. Not disclosing this approach and and the consequences is negligent. You will need to rebuild. Of course many of us now have 20 odd junk Microsoft Accounts. In my case though, it is a VM on Azure, set up with a primary account. Someone else has used Skype *after* the build and it is *their* account I cannot remove. They make it hard. I suspect they have much higher priorities as Windows 10 is still pretty flakey after 2 or more years in production.

    This is up there with eBay the and "provide another account that is used from the same address" **** (firstly it is supposedly not allowed, secondly how in heck would you know? It won't be *yours*).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-01-30T22:11:28+00:00

    Try this:

    1. Click Settings > Accounts > Access work or school
    2. Click the account you want to remove
    3. Click Disconnect

    More information can be found here: 

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/cant-remove-a-work-or-school-account-from-windows/22403d43-91b6-4724-b509-ab3d28031e05

    I hope that helps!

    thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-12-26T22:06:32+00:00

    Yep, the issue is critical if it is not *your* account.  So anyone can wreck a Windows 10 installation by logging into Skype with another Microsift Id.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments