Removing an account from "Emails & Accounts" in Windows 10

Anonymous
2020-03-25T00:52:32+00:00

I cannot remove an account from Settings /  Email & Accounts / Manage. The delete button does not appear. When I click Manage, my browser opens and tells me to sign into an account in Microsoft Online. It was an account that I used for an old domain, that was connected to a MS Office product.

How do I get rid of these account and the annoying reminders that "there is a problem with my account"?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-10-04T10:51:55+00:00

    Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!! I have been searching for this forEVER.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-12-20T02:43:48+00:00

    Try this:

    1. Click Settings > Accounts > Access work or school
    2. Click the account you want to remove
    3. Click Disconnect

    More information can be found here: 

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/cant-remove-a-work-or-school-account-from-windows/22403d43-91b6-4724-b509-ab3d28031e05

    I hope that helps!

    All very well, but i would suggest that the people finding "this" as a "solution" do not really have the problem.  What if it is not a work or a school account but simply someone else's Skype logon ?  We really need a fix for this that does not involve reinstallling the operating system, which is the current workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-12-19T10:31:47+00:00

    Try this:

    1. Click Settings > Accounts > Access work or school
    2. Click the account you want to remove
    3. Click Disconnect

    More information can be found here: 

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/cant-remove-a-work-or-school-account-from-windows/22403d43-91b6-4724-b509-ab3d28031e05

    I hope that helps!

    Fantastic tip, thank you.  Has been frustrating trying to find this option!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-11-22T23:33:57+00:00

    I switched to a local account and I STILL cannot remove the old and dead email account. When I go to Email & Accounts", click "Manage" (as there is NO remove option), it takes me to a Microsoft web page...

    This should be simple. A delete button that just works. Not some complicated process that some idiot designed.

    I tried settings -> Access work or School -> that shows connect option with existing configured emails. On click on email account there is a Disconnect button that solved the problem. 

    Please try it... in my case it worked.

    I don't have the offending account linked to email so this does not work for me.

    This was a rogue Skype logon that has effectively hijacked the account bindings.

    (Malware much, folks?)

    I did not use this account to set up the PC,  and I do not want the other account ?

    Basically there are two solutions.

    1. Pull the disk and re-install from scratch (Nuke from orbit).
    2. Migrate to an Android device, or something else that is less trouble.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments