Well, you have a definite hardware problem that may involve more than one single piece of hardware. And the hardware that has not been swapped out are and have been the most likely causes from the start.
Rob
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Greetings,
I would be most grateful if someone would be able to help me determine the source of my system instability. First, some context:
I've had BSODs on a particular machine for some time now. I'm not sure exactly when/how they began, but they've been happening an awful lot lately when the system idles, or during use. I can't determine a specific trigger or event that causes them, but it's incredibly disruptive when they do happen, and I'd love to find a cure.
I've run Memtest86, Windows Memory Diagnostics, various HDD diagnostics, etc. and nothing I can find so far points to a hardware failure. I'm running the latest BIOS for my motherboard, although it's happened irrespective of BIOS version. I've tried upgrade-in-places, and clean installs of Windows 10, but all of it is so far to no avail. Most recently, I did a clean install once more, only to find the issue has persisted. I do have one dump file so far that I've shared here. I suspect it's a driver, but I can't figure out what driver it could be on my own. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!
WhoCrashed offers the following information:
Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump
On Mon 3/23/2020 12:47:44 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032320-9390-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C2380)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF89018D47D990, 0xFF, 0xB, 0xFFFFF801326BBF2B)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
On Mon 3/23/2020 12:47:44 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x81A9)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFF89018D47D990, 0xFF, 0xB, 0xFFFFF801326BBF2B)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
Here is the summary from WinDBG:
*******************************************************************************
* *
* Bugcheck Analysis *
* *
*******************************************************************************
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.
If a kernel debugger is available get the stack backtrace.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffff89018d47d990, memory referenced
Arg2: 00000000000000ff, IRQL
Arg3: 000000000000000b, bitfield :
bit 0 : value 0 = read operation, 1 = write operation
bit 3 : value 0 = not an execute operation, 1 = execute operation (only on chips which support this level of status)
Arg4: fffff801326bbf2b, address which referenced memory
Debugging Details:
KEY_VALUES_STRING: 1
PROCESSES_ANALYSIS: 1
SERVICE_ANALYSIS: 1
STACKHASH_ANALYSIS: 1
TIMELINE_ANALYSIS: 1
DUMP_CLASS: 1
DUMP_QUALIFIER: 401
BUILD_VERSION_STRING: 18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202
SYSTEM_MANUFACTURER: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
SYSTEM_PRODUCT_NAME: MS-7C37
SYSTEM_SKU: To be filled by O.E.M.
SYSTEM_VERSION: 2.0
BIOS_VENDOR: American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS_VERSION: A.70
BIOS_DATE: 01/09/2020
BASEBOARD_MANUFACTURER: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BASEBOARD_PRODUCT: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS (MS-7C37)
BASEBOARD_VERSION: 2.0
DUMP_TYPE: 1
BUGCHECK_P1: ffff89018d47d990
BUGCHECK_P2: ff
BUGCHECK_P3: b
BUGCHECK_P4: fffff801326bbf2b
WRITE_ADDRESS: ffff89018d47d990
CURRENT_IRQL: 0
FAULTING_IP:
nt!PpmIdlePrepare+31b
fffff801`326bbf2b 48897d80 mov qword ptr [rbp-80h],rdi
CPU_COUNT: 10
CPU_MHZ: e10
CPU_VENDOR: AuthenticAMD
CPU_FAMILY: 17
CPU_MODEL: 71
CPU_STEPPING: 0
BLACKBOXBSD: 1 (!blackboxbsd)
BLACKBOXNTFS: 1 (!blackboxntfs)
BLACKBOXPNP: 1 (!blackboxpnp)
BLACKBOXWINLOGON: 1
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: AV
PROCESS_NAME: System
ANALYSIS_SESSION_HOST: DESKTOP-CDI8JLP
ANALYSIS_SESSION_TIME: 03-23-2020 19:54:15.0849
ANALYSIS_VERSION: 10.0.18362.1 amd64fre
TRAP_FRAME: ffff89018c47d780 -- (.trap 0xffff89018c47d780)
NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers.
Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.
rax=0000000000000000 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=0000000000000007
rdx=00000061a74f2c01 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000000000000
rip=fffff801326bbf2b rsp=ffff89018c47d910 rbp=ffff89018d47da10
r8=0000000000000000 r9=ffffce819a516180 r10=00000061a798718a
r11=ffffbe79d3c00000 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000
r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000
iopl=0 nv up di pl nz ac po cy
nt!PpmIdlePrepare+0x31b:
fffff801326bbf2b 48897d80 mov qword ptr [rbp-80h],rdi ss:0018:ffff89018d47d990=ffff8f8c9d7310c0
Resetting default scope
LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from fffff801327d41e9 to fffff801327c2380
STACK_TEXT:
ffff89018c47d638 fffff801327d41e9 : 000000000000000a ffff89018d47d990 00000000000000ff 000000000000000b : nt!KeBugCheckEx
ffff89018c47d640 fffff801327d052b : 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 000000000028f578 0000000000000000 : nt!KiBugCheckDispatch+0x69
ffff89018c47d780 fffff801326bbf2b : 00000061a74f5299 0000000000989680 ffff89018c47da10 ffffce819a516180 : nt!KiPageFault+0x46b
ffff89018c47d910 fffff801326bac66 : 0000000000000003 0000000000000002 ffff8f8c97806100 0000000000000008 : nt!PpmIdlePrepare+0x31b
ffff89018c47db00 fffff801327c5e88 : ffffffff00000000 ffffce819a516180 ffff8f8ca71ee080 00000000000006e4 : nt!PoIdle+0x1e6
ffff89018c47dc60 0000000000000000 : ffff89018c47e000 ffff89018c478000 0000000000000000 0000000000000000 : nt!KiIdleLoop+0x48
THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC: bac30f8031bbad40506eeaabc9b982d6623c8637
THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD_FUNC_OFFSET: 06372c5c8e03168aff9eb00044cd61dcaa3f5946
THREAD_SHA1_HASH_MOD: ee8fcf1fb60cb6e3e2f60ddbed2ec02b5748a693
FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt!PpmIdlePrepare+31b
fffff801`326bbf2b 48897d80 mov qword ptr [rbp-80h],rdi
FAULT_INSTR_CODE: 807d8948
SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 3
SYMBOL_NAME: nt!PpmIdlePrepare+31b
FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner
MODULE_NAME: nt
IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe
DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0
STACK_COMMAND: .thread ; .cxr ; kb
BUCKET_ID_FUNC_OFFSET: 31b
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: AV_CODE_AV_nt!PpmIdlePrepare
BUCKET_ID: AV_CODE_AV_nt!PpmIdlePrepare
PRIMARY_PROBLEM_CLASS: AV_CODE_AV_nt!PpmIdlePrepare
TARGET_TIME: 2020-03-23T18:47:44.000Z
OSBUILD: 18362
OSSERVICEPACK: 0
SERVICEPACK_NUMBER: 0
OS_REVISION: 0
SUITE_MASK: 272
PRODUCT_TYPE: 1
OSPLATFORM_TYPE: x64
OSNAME: Windows 10
OSEDITION: Windows 10 WinNt TerminalServer SingleUserTS
OS_LOCALE:
USER_LCID: 0
OSBUILD_TIMESTAMP: unknown_date
BUILDDATESTAMP_STR: 190318-1202
BUILDLAB_STR: 19h1_release
BUILDOSVER_STR: 10.0.18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202
ANALYSIS_SESSION_ELAPSED_TIME: 2501
ANALYSIS_SOURCE: KM
FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING: km:av_code_av_nt!ppmidleprepare
FAILURE_ID_HASH: {0722116b-c23b-c6c2-0c96-05693152d11a}
Followup: MachineOwner
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Well, you have a definite hardware problem that may involve more than one single piece of hardware. And the hardware that has not been swapped out are and have been the most likely causes from the start.
Rob
Thank you for sharing your experience...I am using the latest X570 chipset drivers and Realtek Audio drivers, but it was with the older versions I was formerly using that all of these issues began.
So, to clarify...you think that using an old version of the AMD chipset driver could help?
Best,
Tony
Hi Rob,
I hope this message finds you well, and that you've been keeping safe.
Apologies for the delay in response. I thought the issue was fixed, but truth be told, I am still encountering critical stops daily. If you have any additional thoughts, I would be very appreciative. I have no idea what to do at this point. I do have some new minidumps, so if you think they're worth sharing, I'm happy to do so.
I've never been so frustrated with a system before. Basically ALL the components have been replaced at this point, except for RAM, mobo, CPU, and PSU. I have used OCCT to extensively test the PSU, and no problems. MSI insists it can't be the mobo, and both Memtest86 and Windows Memory Diagnostic say that the RAM is fine. All of my settings are still stock.
If you have any suggestions on what I could do next, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again.
Best regards,
Tony
Hellou, i have a BIOSTAR X570 Racing GT8, 16GB TeamGroup DDR4 4500MHz @ 3600 C14 on a Ryzen 5 3600X and a RX 5700. No overclock in CPU base or maximum clock and GPU...
My system has always been ultra stable. I have more than one PC, and I decided to put the RX 5700 in PC 2 and put an RTX 2070 in the one I described.
ALL most software is original, I don't use any crack. I have few games installed.
Since I switched to VGA my problems have increased. I was thinking that the video card could be to blame.
All the errors I saw reported on that thread I had, EQUAL.
I tested the memory in CL24 @ 3200 and the blue screens decreased but still persisted. I thought it was memory, I changed it. The problems continued.
I thought the CPU could be in trouble, I put a 3600 without X and the problems continued.
See, I work with parts so I changed a lot of them. The only one that hadn't changed yet was the motherboard.
Here on my PC what helped a LOT was to get the AMD drive made for the X570 Chipset back to a 2019 version ... I rarely have blue screens now and when the report happens to talk about an audio / video problem. The sound really appears buggy with a continuous hiss when it crashes.
I heard that Windows 10 has some problems with Realtek drivers and unfortunately they are very little updated. I believe the problem is just that now.
Return your chipset's drive to an old version, it should solve your problem a lot, I recommend a
below 2.01.15.2138
When you run MBAM , even if you have it not set to load at Windows, it will stay resident even though you close the main program. So you either have to restart the computer or go to the little up arrow on the right of the taskbar - near clock or Notification area. Find the MBAM icon - right click on it - Exit.
MBAM. like many/most 3rd party antivirus/security programs puts a lot of hooks into Windows and that generally causes instability. Use only Windows Defender which is a true superstar in both protection and compatibility.
AV-TEST Product Review and Certification Report – Jan-Feb/2020
BTW, I just have had 3 in a row caused by antivirus... 2 MBAM and 1 McAfee.
======
If you are gamer - many games install an anti-cheat program (some of which stay resident even if the game is not running). Those compete for the same resources and cause a lot of issues. Often you have to uninstall one or more of the games to get a stable platform. Learn more by checking with any of your games developers/support and/or their forums.
Hope this helps.
Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.