incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-13T19:56:03+00:00

    The POP settings are correct.  I have double checked them several times and in fact after calling AT&T tech support they walked me through setting up the settings.  I have turned off my firewall/anti virus program and tried, but still will not work.  SSL is definately required.  Like I said, I can use another POP email account from AT&T fine, but the one in question wont work. 

    Well I take that back.  I upgraded to Yahoo Mail Plus after reading somewhere that you had to have that to use Windows Live and it worked for a while yesterday, then quit.  I tried it again this morning and it is not working. 

    I have resigned myself to it not working.  I have uninstalled Windows Live and reinstalled it.  Used the repair Windows Live, etc.  I even thought it might be a password issue with Windows 7, so I went in the security settings and deleted all passwords.  No luck.

    I am having this identical issue, using latest version of WLM and ATT.Yahoo.mail .  The error given is the "invalid password for pop server xxx".  Using W7 64-bit with svcpak applied.  Worked one day, now doesn't work.  ATT/Yahoo tell me it's not their fault, because I can login to my email via web/browser - same password, by the way! 

    Can this have anything to do with Windows LIve saving passwords, and they got corrupted?  Can I wipe out saved passwords, if so?  Help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-14T12:20:51+00:00

    I read the article. 

    I didnt change one single thing on my settings, etc. and all of a sudden my Windows Live Mail started working again on it's own.  Not sure if AT&T made changes on their end or what, but my mail is working.  (at least right now)

    So CASE CLOSED.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-14T15:14:11+00:00

    I contacted ATT and referenced the above article.  Their 1st line of support hadn't a clue.  They sent me to something called "connect tech" who tried to charge me to research the issue remotely connecting to my computer, saying this is in no way their problem since I can get my emails via my browser without any problems.  So, I hung up and still have the problem. 

    I CAN get my emails thru Windows Live Mail IF I LOGIN TO THEIR "MEMBER CENTER" within the browser.  That quirk seems to also log me in thru WLM!  Maybe this is a clue?  When I later shutdown and restart, problem comes back.  I have totally uninstalled WLM and reinstalled (kept my data) to no avail.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments