incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-17T18:55:40+00:00

    Good examples.  I am reporting that since I turned off "push" on iPhone, no problems.

    Of course, I said that yesterday, too, and the jury is still out.

    I, too, am continually amazed at the almost perfect way the Internet and all its diverse parts work together day after day, with truly few issues.  If software companies would test more, it would be even better.

    Where I do draw the line right now is having a computer-controlled laser gun cut or carve on my eyes.  I have written, tested, and used software for years; I have managed massive projects with many programmers working night and day, and Murphy is still alive and kicking.

    I'll report back in a few days when I've had a chance to confirm my results.

    I am having this problem with my MS Office for Mac 2011 Outlook:

    error message: "[AUTH] invalid user/password"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-23T17:06:45+00:00

    due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.

    Not strictly accurate. Push mail doesn't need the phone to log in to collect mail, as it does with POP3. It's just a chain of SMTP servers that transmit the message all the way to its final destination. This is possible with a phone, because the final destination has a unique address - its number. As soon as Yahoo receives a message addressed to you, it delivers it to the phone so long as the phone is 'online'. It's this setting at the Yahoo server that sometimes interferes with the POP3 request from the mail client on your computer.

    Nonetheless, I'm delighted you got it sorted. Millions of other users around the world are probably stilll struggling.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-07T23:10:13+00:00

    Hi  Our business account using Outlook stopped receiving mail and error 0x800CCC90 was showing. 

    The mail account settings had not been changed but a large file was sent by wife at the time of malfunction.

    Your tip of turning off the firewall, VIPRE in our case, allowed the stuck mail (167 messages) to arrive - most of the messages were saying the receivers mail box would not allow a file of that size.

    Seems that all is now working OK again OK so thanks for such a simple solution.

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments