incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-29T23:52:01+00:00

    Well, you and me, too!  For days, everything worked great.  Then, yesterday, the problems started all over again.  I did nothing, and nothing was installed.  Back to square one.

    Based on your comments/experiences, it sure looks to me like Microsoft Live Mail is the culprit.

    I've had it up to my ears.  I like MS Live, but I'm now looking to see which email system will replace them.  I like the local storage/folder technique, but now I'm "outta here!"

    Microsoft doesn't care a whit about MS Live, as far as can tell, so don't count on any fixes.

    I'll let you know what I find as as an alternative, maybe the old MS Outlook???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-30T10:09:27+00:00

    it sure looks to me like Microsoft Live Mail is the culprit.

    There are probably many different factors at work here.

    • Yahoo made changes to its servers, starting in (I think) December and finishing in March.
    • Microsoft made changes to the way SSL is implemented. I've no idea whether this has any bearing on this particular problem.
    • The update to 15.4.3555.0308 may have altered the way WLMail passes credentials to the server.

    However, since WLMail will always pass credentials in the same way, the fact that the fault is intermittent points to the server end as the culprit. ATT's advice is to log on to webmail. This will refresh your credentials at the server and enable you to be authenticated when WLMail contacts the server. How long that refresh lasts clearly varies.

    If it were simply a fault in WLMail, ATT and Yahoo would not have admitted that there's a problem that they're trying to solve, and the fault would not be intermittent. MS bashing is popular, but not always justified.


    Noel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-30T12:18:19+00:00

    it sure looks to me like Microsoft Live Mail is the culprit.

    There are probably many different factors at work here.

    • Yahoo made changes to its servers, starting in (I think) December and finishing in March.
    • Microsoft made changes to the way SSL is implemented. I've no idea whether this has any bearing on this particular problem.
    • The update to 15.4.3555.0308 may have altered the way WLMail passes credentials to the server.

     

    However, since WLMail will always pass credentials in the same way, the fact that the fault is intermittent points to the server end as the culprit. ATT's advice is to log on to webmail. This will refresh your credentials at the server and enable you to be authenticated when WLMail contacts the server. How long that refresh lasts clearly varies.

    If it were simply a fault in WLMail, ATT and Yahoo would not have admitted that there's a problem that they're trying to solve, and the fault would not be intermittent. MS bashing is popular, but not always justified.


    Noel

    Noel...I agree about not bashing MS, but it seems to me when I get the same msg on ATT, gmail, and comcast, all from my wife's side of Windows and ALL passwords are correct but I NEVER have had a problem with my side and I even have hotmail included that it can't be ALL the servers.   This only started happening to me after the last MS update.  If you Google the problem you will see it has been an ongoing problem with several of the MS operating systems.  It might have something to do with having multiple accounts within WLM messing up the way it sends out the authorization, or maybe the pop at the servers are having a problem authorizing two defferent passwords from the same computer address.   I have 7 e mail accounts set up on my HTC phone for both my wife and I and ALL work PERFECTLY !   If it was the server I should have a problem with my phone also.   Although the phone uses IMAP for a few of the accounts not POP.

    If anyone finds a better mail service, please let me know.....my wife is REALLY on my case, she thinks it was the switch to U-verse that caused the problem, but I know it wasn't.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments