incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-01T22:14:28+00:00

    Good examples.  I am reporting that since I turned off "push" on iPhone, no problems.

    Of course, I said that yesterday, too, and the jury is still out.

    I, too, am continually amazed at the almost perfect way the Internet and all its diverse parts work together day after day, with truly few issues.  If software companies would test more, it would be even better.

    Where I do draw the line right now is having a computer-controlled laser gun cut or carve on my eyes.  I have written, tested, and used software for years; I have managed massive projects with many programmers working night and day, and Murphy is still alive and kicking.

    I'll report back in a few days when I've had a chance to confirm my results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-01T14:14:08+00:00

     I'm full of admiration for the techs who do manage to make it work when it does. 


    Noel

     

    Noel...

    I fully agree with you but that still does not take into affect that ALL of my e mails...(4) work correctly from my side.........my wife's doesn't.   Add her side to mine....and it still doesn't work.....just doesn't make sense to me.....maybe the server remembers the IP address and having the second account messes it up.

    It just seems to me that much brighter minds than mine should be able to figure it out....although on the MD11...a $100 mil a/c....it came with it's own book of "anomlies"   each a/c was different and software would just cause "stuff to happen"   couldn't be fixed, just had to live with it...like ALL aircondition packs shutting off passing thru 35,000 ft.  Was a real kick to see how messed up each plane was.

    right now mife's gmail is working.....I guess I should shut up and count my blessings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-01T11:12:10+00:00

    I don't know. User authentication is a very complex process way beyond my ken. I'm only passing on what I've learned.

    A few years ago, Adobe contracted out their forums management to a firm specializing in that sort of thing. It was months - probably years - before they managed to get the SSO (Single Sign-On) process working properly. The user expects to be able to log on to the Adobe site and then get access to all his own stuff there. But if part of that stuff is on servers managed by a different company on a different domain in a different part of the world, exchanging credentials gets complicated.

    We have an analogous situation here: you expect to be able to log in to ATT and without further ado be able to access your mail which is somewhere on a Yahoo server. ATT has to pass your credentials on to Yahoo. This has to be a secure process so that intruders can't get in.

    Now add another two dimensions. First, it's not you personally logging on to ATT's server - keying in a username and password on a webpage - but a program on your computer doing it on your behalf. Then we have another actor - a phone service provider who's also trying to pass credentials from your phone via their server to ATT and on to Yahoo to get your mail by a completely different method. It's bewilderingly complicated and I'm not the slightest bit surprised that some of these signals sometimes get in each other's way. In fact, I'm full of admiration for the techs who do manage to make it work when it does. 


    Noel

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments