incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-24T13:16:22+00:00

    The POP settings are correct.  I have double checked them several times and in fact after calling AT&T tech support they walked me through setting up the settings.  I have turned off my firewall/anti virus program and tried, but still will not work.  SSL is definately required.  Like I said, I can use another POP email account from AT&T fine, but the one in question wont work. 

    Well I take that back.  I upgraded to Yahoo Mail Plus after reading somewhere that you had to have that to use Windows Live and it worked for a while yesterday, then quit.  I tried it again this morning and it is not working. 

    I have resigned myself to it not working.  I have uninstalled Windows Live and reinstalled it.  Used the repair Windows Live, etc.  I even thought it might be a password issue with Windows 7, so I went in the security settings and deleted all passwords.  No luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-24T07:41:06+00:00

    Hi troupoc,

    Based from the error code that you have received, the possible causes of this problem can be broken down to incorrect POP settings or a firewall issue.

    So for initial troubleshooting, I would like you to check with provider if the SSL option for SMTP is required or not.

    Please also check if a 3rd party firewall is blocking your ports (usually port 25).

    Once done, please let us know what happens so we could investigate further.

    Thanks!

    **Rate this Moderator**

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-23T18:58:16+00:00

    Question Summary

    Unable to send Email

    Please provide your impacted Email address :

    ******@swbell.net

    Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

    Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

    Did you receive an error code or message?

    Yes

    Please enter the error code or message you received

    0x800CCC92

    Additional Details

    I have been using Windows Live Mail to check my email from an account I have had for years with AT&T, but two weeks ago, it quit working. 

    When I open Live Mail it will try to check the mail, then I will get a pop up asking for my email address and password.  My correct username is already in the username area, so I delete the password shown and reenter the password and hit OK.  After a few seconds it will pop back up and will keep popping up.  If I hit CANCEL on the request I get a Windows Live Mail error message saying:

    Server Error:  0x800CCC90

    Server Response:  -ERR[AUTH] invalid user/password

    Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com'

    Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC92

    Protocol:  POP3

    Port:  995

    Secure (SSL): Yes

    I am positive that the username and password is correct, because I cant type the same thing in a Yahoo mail program and it works fine, also I know that the server settings, ports, etc. SSL, etc. are correct because I also use another Swbell.net email account in Windows Live Mail and it works fine.

    I have tried:

    1.  Uninstalling Windows Live

    2.  Deleting the ******@swbell.net account and reentering all the information several times

    Yesterday I tried the mail again late in the day and it actually worked without me changing anything.  But it will only work for a few minutes and then back to the same old thing.

    I have called AT&T tech support and they walked me through the setup in Windows Live Mail to no avail.

    I like Windows Live, but it frustates me that I cannot get it to work.

    HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Just found out what I think was my problem.  In small print on one webpage it says you have to have Yahoo Mail Plus to be able to access POP service on Window Live Mail.  I upgraded to Yahoo Mail Plus (rip-off) and now it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments