incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-03T15:58:19+00:00

    Hi troupoc,

    As per our Expert Team's recommendation, I ask that you please turn off the 'Secure Password Authentication' option on your account (via Windows Live Mail):

    1. Right click your account name (on Windows Live Mail) and click on Properties.
    2. Click on the 'Server' tab and make sure that 'Log on using Secure Password Authentication' box is unchecked.
    3. Make sure that email account password are entered correctly.
    4. Click settings and select the radio button: 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server'.

    Also, please disable any Email-scanning program currently running on your computer. I also recommend that you boot to a selective start up:

    1. Click the windows logo and Type-in msconfig on the search box (There will be a window that will pop up)
    2. Click the Start up tab then click disable all (This will disable all applications that automatically run on your computer). Hit Apply then OK Restart the computer.
    3. Try opening WLM again If it still didn't work try to disable all non-microsoft services:

    a. Click the windows logo Type msconfig on the search box (There will be a window that will pop up, this time click the services tab).

    b. Put a check mark on the box beside "Hide all Microsoft services" (Don't forget to put a check mark here because if you do, it will also stop microsoft applications.

    c. Hit Disable all, Hit Apply then OK then Restart the computer.

    d. Try opening WLM again If WLM worked, it means that there's an application that is causing the problem. Highly likely, the security applciation. You can isolate it by checking those application one by one. To put back the settings of your system you just have to go back to msconfig, then just have to choose Normal Start up then restart the system.

    Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-25T23:18:55+00:00

    Hi troupoc,

    Since that's the case, I'll have to escalate this to our Experts/Senior Support Analysts for further help and assistance. I ask that you check this thread from time to time for updates regarding this issue.

    Thanks,

    Windows Live Francisco R.

    Rate This Moderator

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-25T20:36:43+00:00

    Well I spoke too soon.  My email worked for a few minutes and then quit.  Keeps asking me for my password and even though I type it in correctly it keeps coming back.  If I hit cancel on password pop-up, I get the error message again about incorrect password, blah, blah, blah.....

    I tried changing my password again to see if it would work again, but now that doesnt even help. 

    ??????????????????????

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments