incorrect password with POP mail account

Anonymous
2012-03-22T16:00:47+00:00

Question Summary

Unable to send Email

Please provide your impacted Email address :

___@___.___

Which version of Windows Live Mail are you using ?

Version 2011 (15.4.3555.0308)

Did you receive an error code or message?

Yes

Please enter the error code or message you received

ID:0x800CCCOF

Additional Details

When I try to send or recieve email with my ___@___.___ email account I get message saying:  Unable to send or recieve messages for the SWBell account.  Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection.

Server:  inbound.att.net

Windows Live Mail Error ID:  0x800CCC0F

Prtotocol:  POP3

Port:  995

Secure (SSL): Yes

I have used this account in Windows live for two years with no problem, but it recently started acting up.  I know that the settings are correct.

Windows for home | Other | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-23T15:55:46+00:00

Several weeks ago, I entered this conversation regarding "invalid password" error using WLM and ATT/Yahoo Mail on the Internet.  ATT seems to have admitted there might be a problem, but I never saw anything to confirm that, or a fix from ATT/Yahoo.

The advice given in the thread then was that my new iPhone was causing the problem, due to the setting "push" being "on" and whenever the iPhone is awake, it keeps logging into my ATT/Yahoo mail account.  Since POP servers do not like 2 simultaneous users for one account, my PC got the error.  I leave my iPhone on all the time, on its charger.

Well, I'm here to report that all I did was turn off "push" on the iPhone, and the problem has totally vanished!  All I have to do now is "refresh" on the iPhone and my emails pop up.

Thanks to iFiredog and Mike Distefano who offered that advice and information! 

Thanks again!

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-06-13T21:57:57+00:00

Did you read thearticle at the AT&T help site? What happened after you contacted them?


Noel

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-30T23:31:04+00:00

    Mike Distefano, your reply gave some interesting info.  I do have iPhone 4 that is on auto for emails to same 2 accounts I use on this computer.  It sits around 24 hours a day, checking email every x minutes.  I would think that all of the software, whether iPhone based or PC based, like WLM, would login, get/send mail, logout, and go dormant.  What you are suggesting is that they do not do this, otherwise it would be rare that they conflicted.  This problem on my PC is not rare, and, I never have the issue on my iPhone.  It seems to always do its thing with my emails.

    Nevertheless, I have changed my iPhone to "manual" for everything concerning emails.  I have also disabled my second email account on my PC.  I'm now as pure as I know how to be, so we will see what happens.

    Is there anything else you know of that we should try at the same time?

    Ever since I started in computers back in the 60's I've always been on the bleeding edge, so it has become a challenge to figure these thing out.  Made a good living doing it, too!  However, the current denial between giants without any overt assistance is a bit much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-06-30T19:01:51+00:00

    You hadn't mentioned that you were also accessing the mailbox from another device. Here's what another poster wrote after talking to a Yahoo tech:

    Yahoo email likes one device at a time accessing the inbox so if you are pushing mail, or have an auto link up via an email client or phone, the password box will pop. I therefore turned off the 'Push' function on my iPhone and iPad and I no longer have the problem.

    Again, this is nothing to do with MS or Windows Live Mail. POP mailboxes have always only allowed one connection at a time; the same may well be true of other servers. In the past, this would have generated a readily-identifiable error code or message (the standard one is 0x800CCC0B), but nowadays it seems to be pretty random which error the server returns. It probably depends on at what stage of the authentication process the phone-generated interruption happens.


    Noel

    Noel....explain a little more about the "PUSHING"  feature you mentioned.  Is it only on the phone or also on the computer?    also what exactly do you mean by the server only likes "one" device at a time.  When I check my wifes mail it is from her side, when I check my mail it is from my side (with no problems)  could the servers somehow stay connected to my password and won't allow her's......? I'll do some more trouble shooting and see what happens.

    ****************************************** update *********************************************

    just tried logging out of everything I could....web, e mail, computer, etc, reinstalled att on her side and imeadiately get the password msg.....it won't recieve or send from att. I signed here in and out of the home att page still no joy! I'm just not getting where the server (if it is the server) is getting another "device" trying to sign in.  I know some of you are having the problem with only the one side of the computer on your main e mail.....so it can't be because I have multiples.

    I'm stumpted...just glad it's not brain surgery we can't figure out.

    Mike

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-06-30T18:55:23+00:00

    If it was the server I should have a problem with my phone also.

    Does your phone use the same protocol to access your email accounts?

    Does your phone use the same connection?

    How often does the phone login and check for new messages?

    How many programs and phones are connecting to your server account?

    Is there an antivirus program on the computer?  On the phone?

     

    Ron....what I'm trying to say is if it was the servers....at ATT, Gmail, and Comcast ALL causing the problem then my phone should have the problem also.  I have shut off all virus and firewall protection on WLM and still have the issue.   I also have 4 accounts on MY side of the computer and ALL work and have NEVER had the password issue.   My wife's side has the issue and even when I delete her side and put it on my side......it STILL has the password issue.

    All I'm saying is it seems to me to be something in the way Microsoft sends out the info to the server.  I have deleted all but 1 account on the wifes side and still get the password msg.  

    right now her gmail is working.....but for no apparent reason.

    this problem has been going on for YEARS....I would think there should be some good fixes by now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments